Which country has the best food, in your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cast my vote with those who cannot choose. If I feel like one particular cuisine, you can offer me my favorite dishes in another and they aren't great, even if they are, if you know what I mean. Since our ethnic cuisines in my town are lacking, when I hit a good sized city, you can offer me the best Italian or steak-and-potatoes, or any other cuisine I can cook myself or get locally, and I'll respond with, NO! I want Thai/Indian/Vietnamese -- whatever. It doesn't mean I prefer those cuisines, just wanting what I can have on a day-to-day basis.

The day I think that one country's cuisine is superior to all is the day I hang up my apron for good. Variety, is, after all, the spice of life!

I too cannot choose. For the past year or so, I've been playing around with Thai, so I have to note that France sailed further than India for the sake of food/spice. To Indonesia.

It's like music; food knows no boundaries. America, for the most part, embraces this melting pot, a new taste. Can I vote for Martian cuisine?

I'm firmly in the "I can't choose" category. However, if I was forced to choose just one it would be Italian.

The U.S. has the best food in the world...we have variety, quantity, availability and quality. You can get anything you want and lots of it.

I am just curious, for those that have answered the US, are you answering because of the wide variety you can find here (Asian, African, Caribbean, French, Italian, etc.) or because of the wide variety of things US centric such as fried chicken and hamburgers and other foods that are US foods?

I am just curious, for those that have answered the US, are you answering because of the wide variety you can find here (Asian, African, Caribbean, French, Italian, etc.) or because of the wide variety of things US centric such as fried chicken and hamburgers and other foods that are US foods?

Yes. :)

hey charlie,
i agree with you on all but one point.im indian and i love my beef as much as texans do..:) indian food is not only about curries ,there;s much more to it..when and if you ever visit india,be my guest at our estate and i will introduce you to the essence of indian food.ciao

I was beeing sarcastic. I know what you saying.

Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...? Granted, there are sit-down restaurants and all-you-can-eat buffets, but these are beyond the point. I just want something quick and healthy which won't take half an hour to prepare, and where I don't have to feel like i need to stuff myself to make the meal a good value.

Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...?...

I agree that the vast majority of FAST food in the USA is sandwiched based. That's what makes it fast. It would be difficult to make a meal of "mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc" into a fast food meal, wouldn't it? Would you try to eat that in your car? ...while driving? Fast food is one segment of American cuisine.

If, on the other hand, you are saying most American cuisine is sandwiched based, (this is what your opening statement seems to say) you are simply incorrect. The many regional American specialties that make up American cuisine are a collection of comfort foods that reflect the composition and history of the regions they represent.

Although the US is a great melting pot of cuisines, I personally cannot stand the form of the modern American cuisine. Vast majority of the food is sandwich based. Why can't we have some fast-food type establishments where I can go in with a plate, grab some mashed potatoes, green beans, some roasted pork chop, bowl of soup, etc...? Granted, there are sit-down restaurants and all-you-can-eat buffets, but these are beyond the point. I just want something quick and healthy which won't take half an hour to prepare, and where I don't have to feel like i need to stuff myself to make the meal a good value.

You can.. its called Boston Market. :)

Andy, you need to move to Hawaii. It was (it's been 20 years) called plate lunch, and you walk up to a stand and get it all: one or two scoops rice, scoop macaroni salad, and meat or veg dishes. Bulgogi or Kal bi, stir-fries, chow mein (the real meaning of the dish). Manapua. All served on a heavy-duty paper plate with chop sticks or plastic forks.

I think the better question which country is your least. There are to many that have great food. My least is India. I have tried several time, but the smell of the food I can't get passed. A friend told me it is most likely the Curry smell that bothers me.

I think the better question which country is your least. There are to many that have great food. My least is India. I have tried several time, but the smell of the food I can't get passed. A friend told me it is most likely the Curry smell that bothers me.

finally someone else that thinks curry stinks and tastes even worse. :wacko::wacko:

This is not an answerable question for me. Choosing one eliminates all the others.
True! Now I am starting to think about all the food I love from other countries besides India.

I love Thai coconut curries.

But, I have to say that I find more food that I love when I am in India, than I have found in any other country I have been in. And, I have been in around 40 countries. Though, there is at least something to be found in most/all countries that I love to eat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom