Whipped by Whipped Cream, Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casual Cook

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I hardly ever bake, but I tried a reciepe calling for a whipped cream topping. I followed the instructions carefully and used heavy cream (though I did substitute regular sugar for powdered sugar), and then whipped the cream and started looking for "peaks". ;)

But.... the whipped cream began to clump together and liquified. Another batch was better but still very badly formed. :wacko:

Are there any secrets for sucessfull whipped cream whipping? And... what are "peaks"? :cool:

Last edited:
I've seen that happen when you over-beat the cream. Peaks refers to the little peak that forms on the end of the beater when you lift it out of the whipped cream. If you go too far, the cream will break and you end up with butter.

Make sure the cream is very cold and put your bowl and beater in the freezer for a while before you whip the cream.

I have to agree with Sedagive - it sounds like you over-beat your cream and wound up making butter, ".... the whipped cream began to clump together and liquified ..." - the clumps were butter, the liquid was "butter milk". This is easy to do with an electric mixer.

You might find this video demonstration of some help.

I have trouble with whipped cream also - thanks for the video link, very helpful. How about whipping egg whites - any similar tips. I shall search also.

David - go to the same link and in the Channels box in the lower left-hand corner of the page click on Technique Videos ... scroll down and click on Eggs - then click on the Whipping Egg Whites video.

A copper bowl is the best, but glass or ceramic will work well. Don't even waste your time trying to use plastic or silicone. THe bowl need to be free and clean of any grease/oil - I usually wipe my bowl out with a paper towel moistened with some vinegar to be sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Michael - this is a good thread and I didn't know about the videos. As to whipped egg whites, my last attempt was with a Ukrainian honey cake which called for the eggs to be separated and added that way. The cake would be baked of course and the whipped whites are to lighten it up. The cake came out good, but too heavy - I was doing a pityful job with the whites.

I use a whisk and a stainless steel mixing bowl placed on top of the ice cube tray from the freezer. Perfect whipped cream everytime. Add sugar and a touch of vanilla extract.

I use a whisk and a stainless steel mixing bowl placed on top of the ice cube tray from the freezer. Perfect whipped cream everytime. Add sugar and a touch of vanilla extract.

How long does that take? When I made it in the food processor, a friend who was watching me told a story about when she lived in Paris and had dinner at a friend's house there. After dinner, the hostess said she was going to get dessert and was gone for 45 minutes. My friend found out later that she had been hand-whipping whipped cream! :ohmy:

How long does that take? When I made it in the food processor, a friend who was watching me told a story about when she lived in Paris and had dinner at a friend's house there. After dinner, the hostess said she was going to get dessert and was gone for 45 minutes. My friend found out later that she had been hand-whipping whipped cream! :ohmy:

About 4 minutes. I'll have soft peaks before you plug the mixer in.

45 minutes? They started with skim milk.

All,

Thanks for the suggestions and guidiance.

I now know what killed my cream.... everything was room temperature and then I whipped it to death with an electric mixer.

All,

Thanks for the suggestions and guidiance.

I now know what killed my cream.... everything was room temperature and then I whipped it to death with an electric mixer.

Hi Casual cook,
Keep the cream in the fridge and refrigerate the bowl and metal beaters for 30 minutes to 1 hour before using.

All the best,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom