"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-24-2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Whipping heavy cream

Good day,

I am making some glorified rice like my mom made in the "good old days" for christmas dinner. I do not have a whisk, let alone an electric mixer and need to whip some heavy cream. I already tried a fork for half an hour and had to go buy another carton of cream. I do have a normal blender and a little puree/dicer, any help would be mucho appreciated. Happy holidays and cheers.
-Jeffe the island mon

Old 12-24-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Master Chef

Well - the good news is you only need to make one more trip to the store - for either a whisk, a cheap hand mixer, an aerosol can of whipped cream (like Cool Whip), or a tub of stabilized whipped cream (like Redi-Whip).

Whipping cream is a process of incorporating air without overheating or over beating the cream - in which case you either get butter or a broken emulsion of soilds and liquid.

You might try using your blender with small amounts of cream (no more than 1 cup at a time) and short bursts (5-10 seconds at a time) and see what you get. I would guess that if it works it will be thick and dense - not nearly as light and fluffy as if whipped with a whisk or mixer.

Old 12-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Try adding a little caster sugar and a couple of drops of vanilla essence to the cream.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

a blender will do it
Old 12-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Executive Chef

You may as well just buy a whisk. It will come in handy with other things too.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I always put the bowl and my beaters in the freezer for a 1/2hr before I beat whipping cream and this seems to help. Hope your arm doesn't get to tired
Old 01-18-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyr2xoxo
I always put the bowl and my beaters in the freezer for a 1/2hr before I beat whipping cream and this seems to help.
I try to do the same thing too, a tip that I got from my mom. In a pinch I'll soak the bowl and beaters in very cold water for a couple of minutes, dry off the water and proceed to whip the cream.

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

Remember when people used to do it with a heavy spoon or an egg beater.

One, of course, has to move the spoon up, above the cream, to mix air into the stuff.

But, a whisk is readily available at any supermarket and works fine.

If I don't have much to whip would rather use the whisk than clean the stupid mixer blades.

But that is just me.

Why anyone would try to use a blender, unless making tons of the whipped cream, I cannot understand.