Whipping heavy cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lostinthevi

Assistant Cook
Good day,

I am making some glorified rice like my mom made in the "good old days" for christmas dinner. I do not have a whisk, let alone an electric mixer and need to whip some heavy cream. I already tried a fork for half an hour and had to go buy another carton of cream. I do have a normal blender and a little puree/dicer, any help would be mucho appreciated. Happy holidays and cheers.
-Jeffe the island mon

Well - the good news is you only need to make one more trip to the store - for either a whisk, a cheap hand mixer, an aerosol can of whipped cream (like Cool Whip), or a tub of stabilized whipped cream (like Redi-Whip).

Whipping cream is a process of incorporating air without overheating or over beating the cream - in which case you either get butter or a broken emulsion of soilds and liquid.

You might try using your blender with small amounts of cream (no more than 1 cup at a time) and short bursts (5-10 seconds at a time) and see what you get. I would guess that if it works it will be thick and dense - not nearly as light and fluffy as if whipped with a whisk or mixer.

Try adding a little caster sugar and a couple of drops of vanilla essence to the cream.

I always put the bowl and my beaters in the freezer for a 1/2hr before I beat whipping cream and this seems to help. Hope your arm doesn't get to tired:wacko:

lucyr2xoxo said:
I always put the bowl and my beaters in the freezer for a 1/2hr before I beat whipping cream and this seems to help.
I try to do the same thing too, a tip that I got from my mom. In a pinch I'll soak the bowl and beaters in very cold water for a couple of minutes, dry off the water and proceed to whip the cream.

Remember when people used to do it with a heavy spoon or an egg beater.

One, of course, has to move the spoon up, above the cream, to mix air into the stuff.

But, a whisk is readily available at any supermarket and works fine.

If I don't have much to whip would rather use the whisk than clean the stupid mixer blades.

But that is just me.

Why anyone would try to use a blender, unless making tons of the whipped cream, I cannot understand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom