"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Cook

White substance used to grease pans

Won't butter or Crisco melt if they are used to grease a baking dish that's baked at 350 degrees for 30 min?
I'm asking because an elderly relative sent me home with a baking dish of extra stuffing and the inside of the pan looked like it had been greased with Crisco that hadn't melted. But that stuffing recipe doesn't call for the pan to be greased. Additionally, there was white stuff that looked like unmelted Crisco on some of the stuffing that had been reheated in the microwave. I'm a bit disturbed by all this because something doesn't seem right. I can't see how that white substance could be Crisco, butter, or lard. Any ideas as to what it could be? I can't think of any other food products that look like Crisco and wouldn't melt in the oven. I'll have to wait a week before I can ask the relative(s) who made it. I'd like to get answers now because I'm worried it may have made some of us who ate it sick.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Master Chef

Crisco melts at 118 degrees. Butter and lard at lower temps, even.

So yes, that stuff sounds suspicious. It it oily like Crisco? Does it smell?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
Cook

Here are two possible solutions to your problem.
1) Contact your cooperative extension office at a nearby university and ask if they can test the substance or recommend a lab that will do so. It may be expensive and take a while, but you will get an accurate answer.
2)Call your elderly relative and say, "Hey, elderly relative, what is that white stuff that looks like silicone lubricant in the stuffing that you gave me?" If he or she cackles evilly or says, "What, are you still alive?", throw out the stuffing.
3) Actually, you could bypass steps 1) and 2) and just toss out the left over stuffing anyway. And the dish.
Cheers
Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilinYuma View Post
Here are two possible solutions to your problem.
1) Contact your cooperative extension office at a nearby university and ask if they can test the substance or recommend a lab that will do so. It may be expensive and take a while, but you will get an accurate answer.
2)Call your elderly relative and say, "Hey, elderly relative, what is that white stuff that looks like silicone lubricant in the stuffing that you gave me?" If he or she cackles evilly or says, "What, are you still alive?", throw out the stuffing.
3) Actually, you could bypass steps 1) and 2) and just toss out the left over stuffing anyway. And the dish.
Cheers
...or you could just ask your elderly relative.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

She has to wait a week before the relative is available. Check out the last sentence of MJ1's post.

Me, I think I'd pitch it. Hopefully, nobody's gotten sick by now.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Could it just be coagulated cold fat? I know if I make something fatty and then refrigerate it the fat congeals from the cold to a white substance lining my pan (assuming I didn't have any Ingredients that colored it like turmeric or tomato)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It's probably just that, Siegal.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Could it just be coagulated cold fat? I know if I make something fatty and then refrigerate it the fat congeals from the cold to a white substance lining my pan (assuming I didn't have any Ingredients that colored it like turmeric or tomato)
This thing has been in and out of pretty high heat, which would melt any kind of fat into the stuffing. So no coagulated fat would remain.

That's the point of the OP
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

If you don't know what it is, toss it. You can ask the relative later.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I recommend tossing it, as well. I would still ask the relative about it, for future reference.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote