"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

i love to cook and bake. like to try new things. i cook for family and friends and myself. wouldn't to do it on a have to do it basis, by being a chef. i like the title"family cook" to much.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #102
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm a Cook and proud to say so!

Old 11-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #103
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I could never be paid enough to cook if I wasn't hungry, so I wouldn't even want to be a pro. I also would never want to cook something I wouldn't like to eat myself. I love cooking for my family and friends though, and have been doing it a very long time.
Your are quite right Kayelle. You could never be paid enough, but what you receive in return sometimes is worth more than the money.
I owned a small gourmet Italian restaurant, and I cooked for 12 years. I limited my seating to 20 people and never turned tables over. I closed it in 2001 and some of our former guests-friends are still in touch with me.
It was like having family coming to dinner, because I never served what I would not eat.
Incidentally, I never attended any Culinary schools. Franca's Italian Dining, was rated one of the four best Restaurant in the State of Wyoming, according to the Wine Spectator.
Passion is never a wasted effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	restaurant 009.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	8861  
Old 11-06-2010, 12:37 PM   #104
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
And just so you know, it is said of Navy cooks, that they are sent to cooking schools where they become experts at ruining perfectly good food. So when he's home, give him something good. I spent too many months aboard aircraft carriers myself, and ate some reasonable food, but too often, some very bad food while deployed at sea.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I'm a cooking junkie alas awash in a sea of boxed food and fast food junkies. What I wouldn't give to be able to regularly cook for folks who appreciate real food. Most of the folks I cook for think butter tastes funny so why not just use country crock.....sigh....

Goodweed, when I was in the Navy I once made a crack about the cake that was made for a retirement party. I called it a cornbread cake, and why was that the only kind of cake that Navy cooks could make. Turns out the stranger in the room was the cook, of the Chief petty officer variety. Open mouth, insert foot.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #105
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
Incidentally, I never attended any Culinary schools. Franca's Italian Dining, was rated one of the four best Restaurant in the State of Wyoming, according to the Wine Spectator.
Passion is never a wasted effort.
Where in Wyoming, Franca? I grew up in Laramie, so I know it wasn't there or I would have been there at least once a week.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #106
Senior Cook

ex-pro. about 16 -18 years experience.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Non-professional food enthusiast.

philso: I love your sig. It is absolutely true. A friend once told me how good the cooking wine has to be: "The cooking wine has to be good enough for the cook to enjoy while cooking."
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #108
Assistant Cook

junkie here! (and newbie to site)
I am not creative in making my own recipes,.... and I follow them! But i'm really good at pretty much everything I make, and really enjoy finding new things to make from other people's recipes! (this past year- a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake was the most made recipe by request of family, friends and extended family... i think i can now make it in my sleep.. after making at least 10 of them!) looking for new things to try, new tips to use and just talking to people who love cooking as much as I do!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #109
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfadedblue View Post
junkie here! (and newbie to site)
I am not creative in making my own recipes,.... and I follow them! But i'm really good at pretty much everything I make, and really enjoy finding new things to make from other people's recipes! (this past year- a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake was the most made recipe by request of family, friends and extended family... i think i can now make it in my sleep.. after making at least 10 of them!) looking for new things to try, new tips to use and just talking to people who love cooking as much as I do!
Welcome to DC...we hope you enjoy eating too!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #110
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Welcome to DC...we hope you enjoy eating too!

Ha... i used to.. way too much! After weight loss surgery, I still do, but just cant as much! perhaps now I just appreciate every bite more! :)

angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote