"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
not that one, another Le Corden Bleu.
Viola! We have one of those here in Las Vegas ... in the Summerlin area.

I guess there are several Le Corden Bleu school across the USA.

I have been to the school here in Vegas a time or two to eat in the restaurant ... all students 'intern' in the restuarant.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
Head Chef

I'm just a junkie.
My wife has fibromyalgia, and my true cooking passion ignited when we were
trying a special restricted diet for her.. it made thinking up tasty stuff a challenge,
and I got hooked.

Contemplating a career change at the tender age of 48 and going to the local community college for culinary school.... but I think I won't like the realities of
professional cooking. Decisions, decisions.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Viola! We have one of those here in Las Vegas ... in the Summerlin area.

I guess there are several Le Corden Bleu school across the USA.

I have been to the school here in Vegas a time or two to eat in the restaurant ... all students 'intern' in the restuarant.

neat! we're supposed to open a 'restaurant' soon.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #24
Master Chef

I'm not a profesional chef, but am chef of my own kitchen (in my house I'm Chief of the Kitchen, which, if I recall, is what chef means). I am passionate about creativity and cooking gives me an outlet for that creative fire, as does writing. I love good food, and am passionate about doing things the best way that I can, and not cutting corners if at all possible. I have a scientific/engineering background, and an artistic side as well. I am intensely curious about everything, and need to know what makes things work, and how to get the results I want for the resources available to me. I write novels, cookbooks, poems, and cook most anything under the sun, depending of course on the availability of time and money.

I thoroughly enjoy taking bad advice from the TV-Network, or some cookbooks, and teaching people why it's bad advise, and what truly works, based on personal obervation and scientific principles. I love learning and teaching others about anything that I can. I hate being laughed at or ridiculed and have gained respect in my community through my cooking skills. I am no stranger to research and experimentation, and use both in my cooking. After so many years of doing this, I have a strong intuitive sense of what will and won't work in the cullinary arts.

I love to share what I know, and learn new techniques from others. I love playing with flavors and textures in food. I enjoy re-creating amazing dishes that I've tasted from other places, without using a recipe.

Nope, I'm not a pro, but a talented home cook.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Not a pro here but...I remember when my son was a baby and my DH was on his way home, I would put him in his high chair and pretend to do a cooking show for him. Even at that young age he knew how hysterical that really was, lol.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Just a junkie. If I were 30 years younger...
Old 07-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

just love the whole process of food. finding a recipe, buying the food and preparing it. always trying new things usually on guests. lol. when i was younger i cooking for two meat and potatoes men. that was very boring. now i cook what i want, money allowing.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I worked as a buss boy twice and a kitchen gofer - does that count?
Old 07-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I just graduated a culinary arts program a couple weeks ago :) At age 35, and working in the automotive industry for 17 years - I saw my department go from 19 people to 4 in the span of about 6 months. I knew I needed a "plan B". I thought to myself, 'what do I love to do'. The answer was simple. Cook :) I went to a part time 11 month course. They offer an advanced program as well, but I'm not into cooking fancy stuff, so I can't justify the extra $7,500(same price as the course I just finished) to learn stuff I will probably never want to use. I don't have much of a desire to work the 6000 hours under a certified chef in order to write my red seal chef exam. I'm in the plans of buying a restaurant right now. Going to be a burger/hot dog/chicken wing place. I'm fine with that. I'm happiest to cook foods that I actually like to eat :)
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Just a junkie. Used to hate to cook but now that I have a family and the time I love cooking and baking.