"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-27-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Quote:
worked as a buss boy twice and a kitchen gofer - does that count
More than you know Arky.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #32
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Just a junkie. If I were 30 years younger...
Hondo, I don't know how many years you would have left after those 30, but I graduated from culinary school at 46, apprenticed with a very busy catering company, became a chef and opened my own catering business. Due to many health constraints I do it part time and mostly consult like Chef June. I am still actively working as a cake decorator however.

I am contemplating becoming a chocolatier in the fall if all things work out.

Don't let age stop you!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Not a pro, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night
Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #34
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
More than you know Arky.
I will second that Arky! My hubby started out helping me with my catering business doing jobs like dishes, peeling vegetables, etc. and just from being there and picking things up he now cooks often on his job as a group home worker - making things like salmon, potatoes au gratin, rice pilaf, roast chicken. Everyone loves his cooking and he rarely calls me any more for advice

Old 07-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #35
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
Not a pro, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night
It only counts if it was in the kitchen!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #36
Master Chef

I, too, am interested in knowing who are pros and who are "just" foodies. I got interested in this site, and a predicessor of it, because I'd be walking through the grocery store AND would find confused people who weren't used to cooking puzzling over food products. I'd impose enough to say stuff like (a very, very young couple) who were debating a pork loin roast or tenderloins. For what they wanted to do, I steered them to tenderloins. Then one time I was shopping with a "I hate to cook" friend, and was explaining different lettuce to her (unlike now, there were fewer, and she's a real veggie lover). This was my favorite foodie moment. I was explaining various types of lettuce, how long they last, etc, and the produce manager for the store walked up and said, "I wish this store would hire you!" In fact, this dear friend of mine remembers the lessons I taught her that day.

I love this site because I can share simple stuff, plus benefit from people more experienced than I am, AND get some hints from real pros.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Professinal, just not yet a Chef

Figure this is a good place for a first post.

I am a professional cook, and am going to school for Hotel Restaurant Management. Eventually my goal is to apprentice, and become an official Chef, with my own place. I love cooking, and my wife and I are constantly having friends over for dinner parties.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #38
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam14 View Post
I just graduated a culinary arts program a couple weeks ago :) At age 35, and working in the automotive industry for 17 years - I saw my department go from 19 people to 4 in the span of about 6 months. I knew I needed a "plan B". I thought to myself, 'what do I love to do'. The answer was simple. Cook :) I went to a part time 11 month course. They offer an advanced program as well, but I'm not into cooking fancy stuff, so I can't justify the extra $7,500(same price as the course I just finished) to learn stuff I will probably never want to use. I don't have much of a desire to work the 6000 hours under a certified chef in order to write my red seal chef exam. I'm in the plans of buying a restaurant right now. Going to be a burger/hot dog/chicken wing place. I'm fine with that. I'm happiest to cook foods that I actually like to eat :)
Truth to tell, Adam, if you have the right location, a great product and a good personality, with this kind of business you will always be in demand. People cut back on HOW MUCH they spend when they eat out, but they still do eat out. And if you are located near a college campus, your business could be a veritable gold mine.

Best of luck to you!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #39
Senior Cook

I'm just a junkie foodie, I try like hell, but I can't beat my real pro DW I'm the sous chef in her kitchen, but every now and then she'll let me take the reigns in the kitchen, but she has to walk away ... I wont let her participate
Old 07-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Truth to tell, Adam, if you have the right location, a great product and a good personality, with this kind of business you will always be in demand. People cut back on HOW MUCH they spend when they eat out, but they still do eat out. And if you are located near a college campus, your business could be a veritable gold mine.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks, ChefJune We are actually in a great spot. It's a smaller town, and we're right in the middle of downtown. The place has the biggest patio in the downtown area. A couple years ago an ice cream place in town closed down - owners retired. While it was open it was lined up out the door. Our idea is to have burgers etc, on one side of the menu and then all ice cream choices on the back - banana splits, huge sundaes etc. I think we're on the right track and something the town really needs. So, here's hoping! Thanks for your vote of confidence