Who are professional chefs here? Who are just cooking junkies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a professional chef either but I am an enthusiast. I'm not a fan of the word "foodie" as it seems to imply some level of greater than thou so let's just say I really enjoy food, cooking food, eating food, etc...

The kids used to run for cover when I announced dinner was ready. No one hated cooking more than me. No one. I hated every single thing about it.

I once blew up a Thanksgiving turkey. The size of the fire ball coming out of that smoker was a sight to behold as I was blown through the dinning room French doors.

Man, I was all black thumbs. If I got one good meal out of 10, it was a good month. Did I mention how skinny my kids were?

...then one day, about a year ago, something miraculous happened. I found an online cooking school that teaches cooking techniques.

Now the first question on every one's lips when they get home? "What's for dinner?!"

I still can't get used to that.

I have a LONG way to go, but getting better by the day. Now that I understand it better, cooking totally fits my personality. I can't sit still for very long, bore easily and crave instant gratification. There's a whole universe full of fun stuff to learn in here.

I'm totally obsessed.

Remember the line in the movie, Julie and Julia? "I was drowning and she rescued me." That's what cooking is for me.

At 51 years old, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, but I definitely know it has to have something to do with preparing food.

I'd love to go to a "Live" cooking school, but at this age and the price tag!!!??? I'd still be paying off loans in my 70s.

I am a cooking poseur more than anything else. My cooking ability is probably below average at best but I love quality kitchen gadgets/appliances and don't mind spending money on them.....like a novice golfer with five thousand dollar golf clubs.
Some day I will become a decent cook and will be able to justify my spending.
But according to some family and friends they tell me my bbq's and pizzas are above average, or they're just being nice. I'm happy with that, regardless.

I'd love to go to a "Live" cooking school, but at this age and the price tag!!!??? I'd still be paying off loans in my 70s.

Gracewriter, that's only true for private cooking schools. Have you looked into what might be offered at your local community college? I know for sure that the local cc here in Jersey City has an award winning culinary program that costs no more than any other of its offerings. Ours may be a bit unusual, but I've spoken to enough folks to know it's far from the only viable option to those overpriced and overhyped programs you're speaking of. :)

I am a Pro, but only when talking about the main dishes on my personal menu.

I am slowly expanding that menu, but hardly a professional at creating those dishes or scanning the pantry and throwing something spectacular together when it seems there is nothing to work with.

Unfortunately, hectic and often conflicting schedules with work and school make it difficult for my fiancee and I to actually take a night to make a nice meal. Add in that her family is remodeling their kitchen and that slim chance turns to "which fast food joint tonight?" Though we have been good about getting some reasonably healthy frozen stuff.

@roadfix - I am the same way. We have a plethora of appliances, from a toaster with an egg cooker to a panini press to a 10 cup rice steamer, we've got more then we know what to do with. Although they are all still in their boxes stacked in the basement, we make due with what is at hand. What matters more than anything else is simple. I love the food I make and the only complaint from the Missus is sometimes things are too spicy or too seasoned for her tastes, but she's warming up to flavor. :ROFLMAO:

I think the most important thing is that you and those you are cooking for enjoy the food you make. Encourage constructive criticism and enjoy the feedback. It will only make your food better, unless, of course, they are demanding it be drowned in ketchup. :huh:

Gracewriter, that's only true for private cooking schools. Have you looked into what might be offered at your local community college? I know for sure that the local cc here in Jersey City has an award winning culinary program that costs no more than any other of its offerings. Ours may be a bit unusual, but I've spoken to enough folks to know it's far from the only viable option to those overpriced and overhyped programs you're speaking of. :)

Sorry for the double post, but I had to add this.

The community college I am attending in Central Jersey has the same basic program and it's much cheaper then going to a cooking based school. Sure, things may be limited, but unless you are looking to be a 5-star chef, you don't need the big school.

The only thing I don't completely understand is the amount of pre-requisites to take some cooking classes, but than again, I am spending the next three years taking a TWO year course and won't begin taking the classes for my major (Mechanical Engineering) until the third year. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

I was a professional chef-owner for 12 years. Closed doors in 2001 and moved to Mexico. I enjoy cooking, not so much cleaning up but it is part of the process and I clean up as I go along. I also teach this practice in my cooking classes. I do not feel confortable cooking in a cluttered kitchen.

I do not feel comfortable cooking in a cluttered kitchen.

I so know what you mean!!! I can't cook anything ever if there are dirty dishes and stuff on the counters.

It's like my mind is cluttered enough, adding to that with stuff everywhere drives me crazy.

My kitchen is my palette and I need a blank canvass.

^^^^ Yeah, but it helps to have a big kitchen with lots of counter space. Makes clutter easier to manage and out of your way.

God forbid I get a bigger kitchen I'd have to go out and spend major bucks on stuff to fill it. It's just my nature and I've got a wish list a mile long.

Besides, I'm lazy and don't want to walk the extra few feet to grab the Panko as inspiration overcomes my sense of sensibility.

I have the perfect kitchen. It ain't big, it ain't pretty and it ain't pricey, but it is extremely functional.

OK who am I kidding, I'd give my husband's left arm to have one twice as big.

I'm not a chef, just the Kitchen Goddess. I like trying new twists on old recipes.

As for cleaning up, I clean as I go. My kitchen is way to small to allow any clutter (7' X 8'). I also use the time that I have something in the microwave to clean cabinets, fridge, stove top, put burner plans in the sink to wash later, put away clean dishes... I had heard the phrase "clean, don't lean" and I guess I took it to heart. I'm glad I did so that cleanup is short and easy any given time.

I could never be paid enough to cook if I wasn't hungry, so I wouldn't even want to be a pro. I also would never want to cook something I wouldn't like to eat myself. I love cooking for my family and friends though, and have been doing it a very long time.

My family are professionals in their brasserie, but there's no way I could could work in such a hot commercial kitchen. Especially when the air con unit breaks down. To me, one is either gifted in cookery or they're just a plodder. I'm a plodder and a happy plodder at my stove and enjoying the food that I cook for when they come home.

i'm a foodie/junkie/plodder, lol.

but once a year i get to be a cook. that is that i cater my department's christmas party, feeding about 125 people or so.

it's funny, but every year i hear from 50 or so of them that i should become a chef. i guess they liked my cooking.

the vice presidents and directors of my department mentioned that last year, that i'll always have a career to fall back on if my current job doesn't work out (which wasn't as funny in the context, :glare: lol). it was meant as both a compliment and joke, to which i replied, "no thanks, being a chef is way too much work. i like how easy i have it now..." :mrgreen:

actually, this year i might actually get to be a real chef for a day, with a professional kitchen and a staff. since i work the midnight shift, i wouldn't have time to cater the party. my boss asked if he could pull it off, would i be interested in using the kitchen in the cafeteria in our building, and some of the young guys offered to be my staff so they can learn to cook.

now i just have to work out a pay scale.

Last edited:
If you can fall back on a second job, or even try your hand at it, then you'll probably never be without work. Sometimes I busk. But I could never be a chef.

I've cooked in several restaurants and was the kitchen manager in one of them. But I learned the most by spending three years cooking nothing but Japanese, another three cooking nothing but French, off and on Indian food (my son had an interesting childhood), and by being forced to experiment with gluten free foods. Currently I'm a very good cook of vegan gluten free food - the limitations make it more fun and more of a challenge, as well as making me a much healthier person. I've been approached with the idea of opening a restaurant serving that kind of food but I don't know if it's what I want to take on right now. A lot of other things come first at this moment.

Do I cook for love or money?
Love.
I love eating.
Family and friends love it.
It makes nice gifts.
I love cooking/baking too.
It's a fun activity to share.

But, hey, if you want to send money, that is fine too.:LOL:

I just like to cook and bake... a lot. I'd say I'm about average skill-wise. I have a lot to learn and have enjoyed all of my at home "lessons" so far. I make a point to cook/bake at least 1 new thing a week. I really enjoy the satisfaction I get when the rest of the family enjoys my cooking. My schedule is very busy but cooking, for me, is a stress reliever and gives me a chance to be creative, which I otherwise am not. I have a very tiny kitchen which I dislike but it does make it easy to keep clean.

I guess I don't see the relevance of calling yourself a pro or a junkie. I'd think anyone who has the interest in seeking out a forum for culinary interest has earned at least a little bit of credit. After that, it's up to (un)common sense to make this site useful to each of us.

That said, I've cooked eggs on the stove since before I could reach the burner knobs. I've always loved making the necessity of eating enjoyable. I am a junkie, proud of it, and if I ever tried to make this into a profession it would just kill the desire I have to cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom