"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #51
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam14 View Post
Thanks, ChefJune We are actually in a great spot. It's a smaller town, and we're right in the middle of downtown. The place has the biggest patio in the downtown area. A couple years ago an ice cream place in town closed down - owners retired. While it was open it was lined up out the door. Our idea is to have burgers etc, on one side of the menu and then all ice cream choices on the back - banana splits, huge sundaes etc. I think we're on the right track and something the town really needs. So, here's hoping! Thanks for your vote of confidence
There used to be a very successful ice cream store in downtown Jersey City that converted to soups in the winter. That kept him going all year round. Sad when the owner passed away. His son did not want to keep it going. Can't say I blame him. A shop like that takes ALL your time, and then some. You've got to love it.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #52
Sous Chef

Quote:
not some small amount of food piled on top of each other on the center of the plate surrounded by colorful sticky gunk and herbs in some artistic way. To me that is not a Chef, but a Artist.
That's exactly what gourmet chefs are. Artists. They blend the different flavors and arrange them on the plate in the same way a painter layerd his paint on a pallet. You eat with your eyes before your mouth.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #53
Master Chef

food is meant to be pretty, that's why nature's harvest is so colorful!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #54
Mr. Greenjeans

I was at the produce market last night picking out portobello caps for a BBQ this weekend and a man approached me. I could see he was waiting patiently to get to the mushrooms so I stepped back to give him room saying that I would be there awhile. He was a nice looking man about 45 dark hair and blue eyes but his features were Indian (no, not native American).

He chose 2 nice caps and then asked me how he should prepare them. (his accent said "English school in India")

I went on to describe how I was going to prepare these particular ones (recipe listed in "favorite vegetarian" thread). He interupted me for a second and asked if I was a chef. I told him that I was just a cook. My wife (a witness) bragged on me for the rest of the night. It was pretty cool.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Now that is cool!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #56
Sous Chef

It was very cool and you done good homie!!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #57
Executive Chef

I am into food. Have been gardening organically since 1976, love to cook and bake, have an associates degree in dietetics, love to read cookbooks and create recipes based on what foodstuffs I have. I have raised dairy goats for decades and make cheese, ice cream, yogurt, buttermilk, etc. Like I said, I am into food..
Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #58
Sous Chef

Whoa, cool you make your own cheese.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #59
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
...He interrupted me for a second and asked if I was a chef. I told him that I was just a cook. My wife (a witness) bragged on me for the rest of the night. It was pretty cool.
That's exactly what I mean about the passion - people can tell when you are passionate about food and cooking and they do link it with being a professional. Good on you!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

I'm a junkie! Cooking soothes my soul. When I feel down cooking picks me up. I am happiest when I'm cooking.