Who are professional chefs here? Who are just cooking junkies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not a professional chef but I grew one! My son is a Japanese hibachi chef and is considering going to culinary school. I don't think of myself as a cooking junkie either. I like hearing what other people cook to jump start my creative process to keep mealtime interesting and not always serve the same stuff each week.

I am a professional Chef. Have attended a few different culinary schools and have lived around the world. Currently the Executive Chef for a restaurant that hosts nearly 250, 000 guests per year.

junkie here. I went to cooking school (2 semesters) last year, but won't be going back. Not going to pay that kind of money (although it was pretty cheap, but still thousands of $$) to be insulted for another year by people that are intimidated by me. They are not the brightest bulbs in the box. I worked as a prep cook the first semester, but by Thanksgiving i was in a walking cast, destroyed my feet. Not sure what I'm going to do with my new schooling yet, but would like to feed people. Working on an idea with our church to do Sunday Suppers, inviting those in the neighborhood, folks that are clients of our food pantry, and congregation members, a mix of folks. In the meantime, I am going back to performing, playing gigs and doing musical play activities for very young children at home daycares.

Foodie here. No training. I learned to cook out of self defense. My mother was trying to kill us with burnt mashed potatos served twice monthly.

What can I say?

img_839550_0_393a7433f0dea1a979130bfc74710c7e.jpg

We raised four kids (six years apart from #1 to #4) ... cooking became almost impossible when they reached junior high and high school ... I was always being the 'Mom Taxi' for activities ... so we ate a lot of food from the freezer section of Sam's Club.

Then came the years when we just ate out a lot.

Last autumn I decided I'd get back into the kitchen ... and it's been a delightful experience ... virtually every meal I've made I've never made before. I'm blessed ... I'm a SAHW (stay-at-home-wife) ... so time is not an issue & I can fiddle-fart around in the kitchen all day.

The kids (now grown & gone) are saying, "You never cooked meals like that for us!" Well, we were in the Navy back then & really could not afford such an open-ended food budget ... and also the 'Mom Taxi' thing.

:eek:)

Used to be a pro, got out because I hated production kitchens. Came up through the school of hard knocks.

I'm with Andy.Just play one at home..
The pays better.Job security,weekends off,insured,paid vacation.
I'd say chefs at home got it going on :)

Munky.

Professional here. Went to several schools, worked for others in their kitchens and also had my own place. Traveled around the world trying everything I could get my hands on and never saying no to tasting something new and different. Haven't worked in the industry since '00 unless you count a golf course snack bar for s&g's in the mid 2000s.

I'm the chief cook and bottle washer at my house.
I did cook once in a while when I was a bartender back in the late 70's though.

I cooked for a living for a long time, both in restaurants and my catering business. These days I do more consulting, teaching and writing about food and wine, and I'm happy about that! :)

I am a pro by training (CIA) and once worked in the field. Due to minimal disability, I now teach at a prep school (not culinary arts btw) but do private chef work for a select clientele.

I am a chef. Not working in the restaurant business currently. But working on recipes at least 3 times a week.

I've spent a little time in a couple NYC kitchens in a intern capacity, but realized quickly, I'd rather cook on my own terms in the comfort of my own home.

I'm now cooking, doing some food photography, and maintaining a blog of recipes.

I'm not a professional chef but just very very passionate about food and cooking! Whenever I go to the supermarket and look at all the different foods on the shelves I can't stop thinking about how they came to be there and what can be done with them to create the perfect meal :)

Back
Top Bottom