"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-31-2011, 01:20 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
not the point, i know, but who got the steak?
The really funny part vitauta, is I don't remember.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
when i was growing up, we usually had just enough for 1 serving for everyone, 2 for dad. no one questioned it, ever. it was that respect thing that's been discussed.

on the rare occasions that there were leftovers, mom would have them put away before anyone noticed so she could make another meal out of them. no one ever asked, really, since we almost always ate in the dining room and the food was served by mom from the kitchen.

today, my son usually gets last dibs, then dw. i've never had a problem with that since there's always more than enough, and i prefer to see them satiated.
i almost always get the leftovers, though, because i work and eat at such odd hours, and dw isn't a fan of leftovers very often.
While Daddy was served first and he got dibs on the leftovers, if there was not enough for all of us, the children ate first. There were a few too many times Mom and Dad went without and it wasn't always necessarily a meal.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
Master Chef

I am right with you, Aunt Bea. When I lived near my extended family, we often grilled at our house. I'd have put a couple of steaks on the side for the very rare my husband and I like. Everyone else, especially in-laws would say, "Oh, gross" if they even saw pink. Then, by the time we sat at the table, the rare stakes would be gone. Disappeared. Consumed. Gobbled, given the speed. Somehow, "oh gross" turned into "so yummy I'll eat it in 20 seconds." So, yes, I form a relationship with a steak cooked over coals, and I might bite your hand if you take it!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #34
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
While Daddy was served first and he got dibs on the leftovers, if there was not enough for all of us, the children ate first. There were a few too many times Mom and Dad went without and it wasn't always necessarily a meal.
Same here on all counts.

I'm right there with all of you on the steak thing. More than once I have had "my" steak taken by someone else.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #35
Executive Chef

so wonderful and liberating to hear i'm not the only one! i thought it was my dirty little secret--that i can become so jealously possessive about "my" personal steak on the grill. in most other food matters, i am effortlessly generous, kind and differential to others. i wonder, could there be a connection to our primal survival instincts being rekindled by the grill?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

What is the word KatieH used, fascinating...
I am finding this personal steak business fascinating
I've been around a lot of grilling and this is the first I've heard about this kindred spirit thing with one's food... or should I say one's "perceived as theirs" food?
You folks aren't moving your food around enough on the grill if one steak looks better than another

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go bond with a beer.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:20 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
What is the word KatieH used, fascinating...
I am finding this personal steak business fascinating
I've been around a lot of grilling and this is the first I've heard about this kindred spirit thing with one's food... or should I say one's "perceived as theirs" food?
You folks aren't moving your food around enough on the grill if one steak looks better than another

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go bond with a beer.

In my case it could be a streak of connective tissue that will be turning into jelly once it warms up...Shrek will cut around that piece and throw it away... or a particularly succulent piece of meat surrounded with tasty fat, that will be heaven when cooked...Shrek cuts around that, too.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

mmmm, I like a nice ring of fat around a steak, or a good fat laden tail. Sometimes even the loins are trimmed too much and missing all that flavor.
I had a buddy who would take his steak back to the table, cut the fat off, then ask to have the fat tossed back on the grill. He preferred a little extra char to his fat.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #39
Master Chef

Fiona, I, too, love the connective tissue, fat, and bone. I think, oh, heck, no one is going to want that one. Then -- abra cadabra, the fatty, bonier steak is gone. I haven't cooked steaks on the grill for a large group for a long time. Nowadays, I buy a porterhouse and husband and I share it and it works out fine. We both like rare, I like fat and chewing on the bone. We only do it once or twice a year. So it is no biggie. But I swear, I wanted to kill my siblings' in-laws when they'd gripe about rare then consume the meat I put aside for us!
Old 07-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Fiona, I, too, love the connective tissue, fat, and bone. I think, oh, heck, no one is going to want that one. Then -- abra cadabra, the fatty, bonier steak is gone. I haven't cooked steaks on the grill for a large group for a long time. Nowadays, I buy a porterhouse and husband and I share it and it works out fine. We both like rare, I like fat and chewing on the bone. We only do it once or twice a year. So it is no biggie. But I swear, I wanted to kill my siblings' in-laws when they'd gripe about rare then consume the meat I put aside for us!
I love rare and sitting around to chew the fat, too! As proven by my fire hydrant shape.

Unless I "rescue" it, Shrek's fat ends up in the trash. I offer to clear the table on steak nights.