Who gets "the last piece" at your house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the word KatieH used, fascinating...
I am finding this personal steak business fascinating :LOL:
I've been around a lot of grilling and this is the first I've heard about this kindred spirit thing with one's food... or should I say one's "perceived as theirs" food? :ROFLMAO:
You folks aren't moving your food around enough on the grill if one steak looks better than another ;)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go bond with a beer.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

once i have "chosen" my steak, you couldn't lose it, confuse it, mixing it around with other similar, fine-looking steaks. it might as well have my name branded on it.:)

once i have "chosen" my steak, you couldn't lose it, confuse it, mixing it around with other similar, fine-looking steaks. it might as well have my name branded on it.:)

That's great. Like a steak shell game :LOL:

I do appreciate the passion.

I suppose I'm kind of the same way, but on a much lesser scale. There are pieces of food I earmark for getting eaten that night, and the others for the plate of leftovers I fix for the next day's lunch. Usually if I'm grilling extra chops or chicken pieces. Of course if someone just happened by I'd offer them any pork chop they desired ;)

Gee, we have so much in common. Mom says that even as a little girl who could barely speak, I'd as for what I called "the lip", that is the fat on the steak. Only if it is crisp and brown and tasty. What's not to like?

Gee, we have so much in common. Mom says that even as a little girl who could barely speak, I'd as for what I called "the lip", that is the fat on the steak. Only if it is crisp and brown and tasty. What's not to like?

Was your first babysitter a single enlisted man? :) Our babysitter was Dad's CO, he was lots of fun.

While Daddy was served first and he got dibs on the leftovers, if there was not enough for all of us, the children ate first. There were a few too many times Mom and Dad went without and it wasn't always necessarily a meal.

you know, i can't ever recall us not having food. i remember hearing about mom selling her engagement ring to make ends meet, and there were years that my parents never bought any new clothes or anything for themselves ( dad wore underwear, sweaters, and shoes until they had more holes in them than not), but us kids never went without the necessities. even if you gave dad a new sweater, he'd still wear his old, ragged one until he decided it was too far gone: often to the embarassment of mom.

for dinner, the kids were served full plates first, and dad would get 2 big bowls of veggies, a throwback to his childhood in ireland where they always had spuds and 2 veggies at dinner. then mom would join us. since mom never really sat down that long so she could serve everyone, she'd go back in the kitchen to get the rest of dad's food after she wolfed down a bit of her plate.

i can't ever thank them enough for all of their sacrifices.

you know, i can't ever recall us not having food. i remember hearing about mom selling her engagement ring to make ends meet, and there were years that my parents never bought any new clothes or anything for themselves ( dad wore underwear, sweaters, and shoes until they had more holes in them than not), but us kids never went without the necessities. even if you gave dad a new sweater, he'd still wear his old, ragged one until he decided it was too far gone: often to the embarassment of mom.

for dinner, the kids were served full plates first, and dad would get 2 big bowls of veggies, a throwback to his childhood in ireland where they always had spuds and 2 veggies at dinner. then mom would join us. since mom never really sat down that long so she could serve everyone, she'd go back in the kitchen to get the rest of dad's food after she wolfed down a bit of her plate.

i can't ever thank them enough for all of their sacrifices.

That's exactly the way it was at our house. Dad got new socks (3 pairs) 3 times a year, Father's Day, Birthday and Christmas. He would drive us all to the store and give Mom the money and we'd go in and get his socks. I was 15 by the time I realized the sacrifices Mom and Dad were making. It was the state of Mom's underwear that gave me the first clue.:(

one of my most fond memories was right after dinner, when we were ready to asked to be excused from the table, my sisters and i would race to my parents' bedroom, ebowing and hip checking to jockey for position, to get my dad's vitamins from his bureau and bring them to him along with a big glass of milk.

ah, good old times.

Back
Top Bottom