Who gets "the last piece" at your house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luckily, husband absolutely understands and never digs in before Dad and never grabs the last bite when we're visiting. Of course my BILs are all young enough to be my husband's kids, and most wouldn't know manners if they were hit in the face with them. I don't know ... a little thing called respect.

Respect, it's what we learned growing up...you and I both grew up in the military and I think that has a lot to do with it.

I'm sure you're right. People think growing up in the military means having fathers who ruled with an iron fist and were mean and abusive. In fact, in my experience, growing up in the military meant having mothers who ruled the roost. My parents (77 and 81) are still together and still very much in love. My retired sergeant dad is a very gentle man and would never insist upon the table manners Mom taught us. It was earned respect, not demanded.

I do normally, but I will always offer it around to others first. Maybe they can read the look on my face as I offer it. Oh dear

In our house, with a few exceptions, it's whoever gets to it first which the hubby will kind of sheepishly admit is him. We're both pretty laid back about leftovers. It's something we've kind of learned.

Fabiabi, we also were always told to ask if anyone else wanted that last pork chop (offered to Dad first). If so, the last serving got split. Mom made enough food for a small army, so it seldom came down to that until my sibs married and started having kids.

when i was growing up, we usually had just enough for 1 serving for everyone, 2 for dad. no one questioned it, ever. it was that respect thing that's been discussed.

on the rare occasions that there were leftovers, mom would have them put away before anyone noticed so she could make another meal out of them. no one ever asked, really, since we almost always ate in the dining room and the food was served by mom from the kitchen.

today, my son usually gets last dibs, then dw. i've never had a problem with that since there's always more than enough, and i prefer to see them satiated.
i almost always get the leftovers, though, because i work and eat at such odd hours, and dw isn't a fan of leftovers very often.

The only time it has ever been an issue for me is when I am grilling. I always form a bond with one steak, pork chop, etc. and if someone snatches it before I do I am heart broken. Stupid but, true.

I understand completely Bea!! This brings back a very old memory of one of the worse altercations my late husband and I ever had. Keep in mind we were both in our early 20's, and still quite immature and self centered. We were grilling two small steaks that were a real stretch for our food budget. Like you, I formed a real mouth watering bond with one of them, and both of our forks hit the one steak at the same time. It got ridiculous then......"you take it, no you take it, I had my eye on that one, so did I, I wouldn't eat that one now if my life depended on it".....you get the idea. Then it got into a shouting match about how selfish the other one was. Ack!!
That was over 40 years ago, and we laughed over the memory many times.

I understand completely Bea!! This brings back a very old memory of one of the worse altercations my late husband and I ever had. Keep in mind we were both in our early 20's, and still quite immature and self centered. We were grilling two small steaks that were a real stretch for our food budget. Like you, I formed a real mouth watering bond with one of them, and both of our forks hit the one steak at the same time. It got ridiculous then......"you take it, no you take it, I had my eye on that one, so did I, I wouldn't eat that one now if my life depended on it".....you get the idea. Then it got into a shouting match about how selfish the other one was. Ack!!
That was over 40 years ago, and we laughed over the memory many times.

not the point, i know, but who got the steak?:)

when i was growing up, we usually had just enough for 1 serving for everyone, 2 for dad. no one questioned it, ever. it was that respect thing that's been discussed.

on the rare occasions that there were leftovers, mom would have them put away before anyone noticed so she could make another meal out of them. no one ever asked, really, since we almost always ate in the dining room and the food was served by mom from the kitchen.

today, my son usually gets last dibs, then dw. i've never had a problem with that since there's always more than enough, and i prefer to see them satiated.
i almost always get the leftovers, though, because i work and eat at such odd hours, and dw isn't a fan of leftovers very often.

While Daddy was served first and he got dibs on the leftovers, if there was not enough for all of us, the children ate first. There were a few too many times Mom and Dad went without and it wasn't always necessarily a meal.

I am right with you, Aunt Bea. When I lived near my extended family, we often grilled at our house. I'd have put a couple of steaks on the side for the very rare my husband and I like. Everyone else, especially in-laws would say, "Oh, gross" if they even saw pink. Then, by the time we sat at the table, the rare stakes would be gone. Disappeared. Consumed. Gobbled, given the speed. Somehow, "oh gross" turned into "so yummy I'll eat it in 20 seconds." So, yes, I form a relationship with a steak cooked over coals, and I might bite your hand if you take it!

While Daddy was served first and he got dibs on the leftovers, if there was not enough for all of us, the children ate first. There were a few too many times Mom and Dad went without and it wasn't always necessarily a meal.
Same here on all counts. :)

I'm right there with all of you on the steak thing. More than once I have had "my" steak taken by someone else. :mad::rolleyes:

so wonderful and liberating to hear i'm not the only one! i thought it was my dirty little secret--that i can become so jealously possessive about "my" personal steak on the grill. in most other food matters, i am effortlessly generous, kind and differential to others. i wonder, could there be a connection to our primal survival instincts being rekindled by the grill?

What is the word KatieH used, fascinating...
I am finding this personal steak business fascinating :LOL:
I've been around a lot of grilling and this is the first I've heard about this kindred spirit thing with one's food... or should I say one's "perceived as theirs" food? :ROFLMAO:
You folks aren't moving your food around enough on the grill if one steak looks better than another ;)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go bond with a beer.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What is the word KatieH used, fascinating...
I am finding this personal steak business fascinating :LOL:
I've been around a lot of grilling and this is the first I've heard about this kindred spirit thing with one's food... or should I say one's "perceived as theirs" food? :ROFLMAO:
You folks aren't moving your food around enough on the grill if one steak looks better than another ;)

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go bond with a beer.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In my case it could be a streak of connective tissue that will be turning into jelly once it warms up...Shrek will cut around that piece and throw it away...:wacko: or a particularly succulent piece of meat surrounded with tasty fat, that will be heaven when cooked...Shrek cuts around that, too.:wacko:

mmmm, I like a nice ring of fat around a steak, or a good fat laden tail. Sometimes even the loins are trimmed too much and missing all that flavor.
I had a buddy who would take his steak back to the table, cut the fat off, then ask to have the fat tossed back on the grill. He preferred a little extra char to his fat.

Fiona, I, too, love the connective tissue, fat, and bone. I think, oh, heck, no one is going to want that one. Then -- abra cadabra, the fatty, bonier steak is gone. I haven't cooked steaks on the grill for a large group for a long time. Nowadays, I buy a porterhouse and husband and I share it and it works out fine. We both like rare, I like fat and chewing on the bone. We only do it once or twice a year. So it is no biggie. But I swear, I wanted to kill my siblings' in-laws when they'd gripe about rare then consume the meat I put aside for us!

Fiona, I, too, love the connective tissue, fat, and bone. I think, oh, heck, no one is going to want that one. Then -- abra cadabra, the fatty, bonier steak is gone. I haven't cooked steaks on the grill for a large group for a long time. Nowadays, I buy a porterhouse and husband and I share it and it works out fine. We both like rare, I like fat and chewing on the bone. We only do it once or twice a year. So it is no biggie. But I swear, I wanted to kill my siblings' in-laws when they'd gripe about rare then consume the meat I put aside for us!

I love rare and sitting around to chew the fat, too!:) As proven by my fire hydrant shape.:ROFLMAO:

Unless I "rescue" it, Shrek's fat ends up in the trash. I offer to clear the table on steak nights.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom