Who gets "the last piece" at your house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
there's one last piece of that butter crumb apple pie left in the pie tin. who usually gets to eat it? how about the single serving of baked ziti, the last ice cream in the carton, who gets the biggest pork chop, the last pizza slice? fried chicken, last doughnut? in your house, who is the lucky "finisher"? and is it usually (or always) the same person? is it you?:)

I try to make sure my husband gets the biggest piece, the best looking piece, and the last piece. If it is something that my husband doesn't like quite as much as me, I will take more, but I make sure he has plenty. Mashed potatoes, for instance. Sometimes a little more will find its way onto my plate. :innocent:

I always make way too much, and we have a huge double door, reach in commercial refrigerator which holds tons of leftovers, so the last piece usually goes in the garbage about a week later.:LOL::ermm:

My dad's family had a saying, that you should "leave some for manners." The joke was that "manners" never showed up, so it all got eaten. :LOL:

I usually get it all, too. Sometimes I will save some for my dogs though. Like today, I saved each dog the crust from the last three pieces of that Lil Caesar's pizza I shouldn't have eaten.

The only time it has ever been an issue for me is when I am grilling. I always form a bond with one steak, pork chop, etc. and if someone snatches it before I do I am heart broken. Stupid but, true.

In our house it depends on who likes "it" the most. Bugs will get the last beef rib, Ken will get the last piece of nearly every dessert. Madeleine will mug you for smoked salmon and me...well, lets say that I get the first, middle and LAST cup of coffee, and glass of wine!

As my dad use to say, Here you have it otherwise we will have to throw it out. We still tell my son in law Here Jon we will have to throw it out if you don't take it home.:LOL: Then when he's not looking I eat it and play dumb:ROFLMAO:
kades

Depends on what it is, if it's sweet and not for Diabetics...Shrek, the Diabetic, gets it. If it's leftovers, I get to eat them for the next three or four days.

It usually sits in the fridge until it morphs, then gets thrown out. DH is notorious for leaving 1.5 tablespoons of stuff in a container and thoughtfully putting it back in the fridge.

When I tell him to finish up (fill in the blank), he tells me there's not enough. Go figure.

Last edited:
Ok, this all reminded me of a joke (also told by my dad's family--I'm sure I've told it here at some point too).

A family is sitting at the dinner table (dad, mom, and 5 boys). There are enough pork chops for each to have one, and one left over. All the boys are eyeing that last pork chop, but they know it would be rude to grab it. Suddenly the lights go out. When they come back on a few seconds later, the dad has his fork stuck into the pork chop, and there are 5 forks sticking into the back of his hand. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Here it again depends on what it is. Dad is diabetic and DH is gluten/soy/dairy intolerant and I eat just about anything. So, if it is a nice diabetic dessert (specially chocolate), I make sure Dad has it. If it is something DH likes and can have (dessert, snack or main), I let him have it. Everything else is either mine or the dogs'.

We are an equal opportunity leftovers family. :rolleyes:

I was raised that Daddy got it; after all, he paid for it, he worked for it, it was his. And although our circumstances are radically different, I do tend to let husband have it if he wants it. One time a BIL cleaned the platters at my parents' house, and my sis let him know that just wasn't done. You don't dig in before Daddy starts eating, and you ask him if he wants it before you grab the last bite.

I was raised that Daddy got it; after all, he paid for it, he worked for it, it was his. And although our circumstances are radically different, I do tend to let husband have it if he wants it. One time a BIL cleaned the platters at my parents' house, and my sis let him know that just wasn't done. You don't dig in before Daddy starts eating, and you ask him if he wants it before you grab the last bite.

I grew up the same way. Shrek doesn't understand why I always stand back and let him go first when dishing up dinner. It's a habit I just cannot break.

Luckily, husband absolutely understands and never digs in before Dad and never grabs the last bite when we're visiting. Of course my BILs are all young enough to be my husband's kids, and most wouldn't know manners if they were hit in the face with them. I don't know ... a little thing called respect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom