"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-21-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
My mom, a great cook, always learning and passing it on. Always interested. Julia Child, Madeline Kamman, Jeff Smith, our first TV chefs on PBS. My chef/instructors at CIA, etc...but it all comes back to mom for having us cook with her, learning her recipes, her love of seeking new ideas/methods etc. Definitely mom was my greatest influence.
Jeff Smith was absolutely my #1 influence early on. I had half a dozen of his cookbooks growing up.

He was so much about authentic with everything he did. That kind of faithfulness and respect for the regional tradition just doesn't happen much anymore.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #22
Master Chef

My greatest cooking influences were both of my parents & my grandmother on my father's side - FABULOUS cooks, all 3 of them!!

While all my little compatriots were dining on Spaghetti-O's, cheeseburgers, & meat/potatoes, I was having Portuguese soups & stews, homemade Asian dishes (unheard of back then), & all sorts of Czech delights (bread & potato dumplings, sauerkraut, liver & blood sausages, etc., etc.). And my grandmother's tripe soup & her Czech pastries were to die for!!

Mom also LOVED the PBS cooking shows (this was back in the dark ages before cable) & not only had her own library of cookbooks, but was always taking out more from the local library so we could read them together like they were novels - lol!!

I will never be able to thank them enough for not only introducing me early on to the joys of reading & literature, but also - of course - to the joys of cooking & experimenting with new foods & ideas.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Breezy, could you be so generous as to provide us with the recipe for the tripe soup?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #24
Master Chef

Since my husband would rather eat worms & die than even THINK about consuming tripe, I've never made it myself. Which is a shame since the markets around here do carry nice-looking tripe upon occasion.

However, there's a very strong possibility my dad has the recipe, so I'll ask him when I speak to him next & post back Bill.

The soup really was excellent. I mean, let's face it, even little kids would scarf it up fully realizing what was in it - lol! It was creamy-thick & chock full of perfectly prepped tripe, carrots, & potatoes.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #25
Senior Cook

So we can safely assume it is not the traditional "Pepper Pot" New England preparation... :)
Old 07-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #26
Head Chef

I have to say my mother for one, as I was from a family with 8 kids and helping out. She lets me cook even tho my mess was big afterward, But the main one goes to a Home economics Teacher - She was and is great and inspired all of us. Not just in cooking but anything to run a household. So my hat goes off to Eunice Hicks-Miller Union Springs High School Class of 1972. You don't find any of her anymore. Take a Bow Mrs H.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetalChef View Post
So we can safely assume it is not the traditional "Pepper Pot" New England preparation... :)
Definitely not. Not even remotely close. (I do love Pepperpot too though!)
Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Definitely not. Not even remotely close. (I do love Pepperpot too though!)
I just noticed you're in C-Pep. Where do you go for your tripe?

Down here in L-Burg, it's almost impossible to find (as are a number of other really basic ingredients you expect to find everywhere)
Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #29
Master Chef

While I don't buy it (because, as I said, my husband doesn't eat it), nice pristine tripe is nearly always available at our local Super-WalMart. Since we have a large Hispanic population here, they not only have an entire aisle devoted to Hispanic grocery items, but also have a Hispanic section in the dairy department, & in the fresh meat department devoted to primarily Hispanic cuts of meat like tripe, beef tongue, & other delicacies of that nature. If my husband was a red-meat eater, I'd definitely be buying & cooking with a lot of these things (I LOVE beef tongue!!), but it's simply not worth it if I'm the only person in a household of 2 that will eat it - lol!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Wow. So he doesn't eat red meat at all? You poor woman...