Who was your greatest influence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bourbon

Senior Cook
For me it was my grandmother. She didn't teach me so much as inspired me later in life. Trying to duplicate her cooking led me to my own understanding of food, and enjoying a great home cooked meal.

My mother, because she started working while I was in high school, and made me responsible to have dinner ready when she and Dad came home from work. She made a deal that if I cooked a decent meal, she'd do the clean up. My first meal for them was a tuna casserole. i used flour and water to thicken = glue. I also thought it looked dull, so added green food coloring! They ate it, but declined seconds!!!
Then, it was Julia Child (natch) and the Galloping Gourmet (still have my spurtle).

My mother, because she started working while I was in high school, and made me responsible to have dinner ready when she and Dad came home from work. She made a deal that if I cooked a decent meal, she'd do the clean up. My first meal for them was a tuna casserole. i used flour and water to thicken = glue. I also thought it looked dull, so added green food coloring! They ate it, but declined seconds!!!
Then, it was Julia Child (natch) and the Galloping Gourmet (still have my spurtle).

WOW talk about a blast from the past. I forgot all about Graham Kerr

I remember Graham, and while his humor was there, I also remember he rarely made anything *I'd* want to cook.

But I did like him.

Bob

My mom, a great cook, always learning and passing it on. Always interested. Julia Child, Madeline Kamman, Jeff Smith, our first TV chefs on PBS. My chef/instructors at CIA, etc...but it all comes back to mom for having us cook with her, learning her recipes, her love of seeking new ideas/methods etc. Definitely mom was my greatest influence.

I just bought "My Life in France" and am looking forward to reading it. Then the Julie and Julia book, followed by the movie.

I would say my mother. No surprise there, but she definitely has that certain "touch" that always makes her meals and treats delicious. As a child my friends rarely declined a dinner invitation at our house, nor did many of my brothers' friends and teammates! Great food, hopefully I'll cook as well as her some day.

My dad. My mom hated cooking and I inherited that from her. My dad has always been the cook in the family and slowly, very slowly, his love for cooking began to rub off on me.

mom and hunger!!

i love and miss you mom!! muahhhhhhhhhhh

My great grandmother, both grandmothers, my mother and my first wife; They were all such lousy cooks I had to learn to cook in self defense!

my great grandmother, both grandmothers, my mother and my first wife; they were all such lousy cooks i had to learn to cook in self defense!
you made me sol - snort out loud!!

My Mom. She raised 3 boys by herself, worked full time and cooked every night. As I got out on my own I often reflected on how she was always there for us and made sure we were ok no matter what. When I get to busy, I think of her. When I cook, I think of her When I am playing with my kids, I think of her. She is part of everything I do and is why I am who I am. My Mom is my greatest influence.

Mom would be #1. She claimed that neither her mother, nor my father's, could cook worth a poop (I'm putting this more politely than Mom would). They were old French-Canadian women who just wanted to put calories on the table for men who needed tons of food. One of Daddy's first gifts to Mom was a cookbook. Dad was in the Air Force, and Mom had many, and I do mean many, friends who were "war brides": Japanese, French, German, etc, women who taught her their cuisines. So I grew up eating all of these things. My friends' mothers were also war brides, mostly French. So we ate things like coq au vin, rabbit, suki-yaki, etc, on a rather regular basis.

I just bought "My Life in France" and am looking forward to reading it. Then the Julie and Julia book, followed by the movie.

You're going to love "My Life in France...." I could hear Julia talking while I was reading her stories.

My mom, hands down. She was a wonderful cook, and she loved to cook and entertain family and friends, and so do I. (She didn't want me to go into catering, however. :rolleyes:)

Then, whe Mastering the Art came out, I got it as a gift, and cooked my way through it, learning French cooking.

In between there, came "Aunt Rachel" and my Girl Scout leader, who taught me Italian cooking. :)

While stationed in Italy, I hunted with Henry Nicholas, a DAC working for the Army Corps of Engineers. Henry was from Brittany, and made all the greater a hunting partner because he used to cook our harvests.

My dad. He is an amazing cook and he isn't afraid to try new things. My step mom as well, together they installed a huge love of cooking/eating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom