Whole Black Mustard Seed Substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avlynn

Cook
Hi,
I have a recipe for Indian Vegi Stew that calls for whole black mustard seeds.
What are they and how are they different then the regular ones? I only have regular ones. Also could i substitute mustard powder?

Yes, you can sub the powder. Alas, the whole black mustards will add a different dimention to your dish. More powerful, yet smoother.
You and I know that not everyone has everyTHING. Im betting you will still enjoy your dish. :chef:

Black mustard seeds have a different flavor and pungency than ground yellow mustard powder. Black mustard seeds, and a first sub choice would be brown mustard seeds, are common in India .. the yellow mustard seeds are from the West.

Wow i thought there were only the yellow seeds! Now i will have to investigate the other 2. I've only used Yellow ones in Spring Lamb Stew. I wonder if i have had them before?:huh:

Avlynn said:
Wow i thought there were only the yellow seeds! Now i will have to investigate the other 2. I've only used Yellow ones in Spring Lamb Stew. I wonder if i have had them before?:huh:

If you have an Indian grocery close by, splash out one day and buy a bag of black (or brown) mustard seeds. They're not expensive, but when you cook with them, they're extraordinary! Sizzle them in a little ghee (or oil) for a minute or two until they start to pop, then add to your favourite dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom