Whoops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So I have a bit of insomnia.
I often wake up anywhere between 2:30 and 4:30 ( today was 2:30).
I dont feel tired, I actually feel fully refreshed. Ive tried many things to fall back asleep, but my mind and body basically tell me to get up and go about my day.
Some times Ill go into the basement and play the guitar, piano or whatever.
Sometimes I ll actually go outside and tend to the garden ( which is a treat with limited light, but I make it work)

And then there are days like today where I decide to cook.
Cooking was on my list of things to do today, so I figured , why not get it out of the way and open up the rest of the day for other things.
So, on my to do list today was to make some tomato puree and can or freeze it. I have a few full gallon bags of home grown tomatoes in the freezer that I need to process into something useful. Also, will be visiting my daughter this weekend in Maryland, so figured Id bring her some home cooked potato soup ( along with the already made pea soup and onion soup thats in the freezer already).

So, tossed the tomatoes in a pot, added a little bit of water , and cooked them down till they were soft. Processed them through the food mill to get rid of the seeds and skin and back into the pot they went to boil it down a bit before I can or freeze them.

At the same time, I cut up all my veggies for the potatoes soup and got that to a simmer ( side by side with the tomatoes).

Cut up a bunch of dill ( like 1/2 a cup) and turned to dump it in the soup, and you guessed it, right into the tomatoes .

Luckily, I didn't start to stir it in yet, so most of it was floating on the surface. Also, luckily, although the potato soup is not a tomato based base, there are some tomatoes in it, so I was Able to scoop out most of the dill ( with some tomato puree ) and put it back where it belongs ( in the potato soup).

Guess that happens when you decide to cook at 2:30am :LOL:

Tragedy was averted !!

If I already mixed it in, I just would have had to be creative and figure out what to do with Dill laced tomato puree. There may be a little bit in the tomatoes still, but not enough to make a difference .

At least I didn't cut the tip of my finger off, like I did another time I decided to cook in the wee hours of the morning.

Dill tomatoes could be used for a clam or fish chowder if you eat fish.

I also have insomnia often. But I don't usually cook. Maybe do some prep. But family complain that I wake them up.

Last edited:
I also have insomnia often. But I don't usually cook. Maybe do some prep. But family complain that I wake them up.

My wife actually likes waking up to the smell of whatever im cooking, kinda like aroma therapy. ( and better than waking up after the cat used the litter box :ROFLMAO: )

At least you realized the error quickly!

I can't imagine going out in the garden in the AM hours! Not unless I had gotten a frost already, to kill the mosquitos.:ohmy:

So I have a bit of insomnia.
I often wake up anywhere between 2:30 and 4:30 ( today was 2:30)...

I hope you get your insomnia sorted, however, it seems like you do have fun at 2:30 in the morning with your guitar/piano playing and your salad disasters :LOL:

I get insomnia often. I generally don't cook. Tuesday night I assembled an IKEA TV stand at about 4AM. It hasn't collapsed under the weight of the TV.

CD

I actually do enjoy my quiet ' alone' time in the middle of the night.
Im not one to roll around in bed being bored, If im up, Im upend gotta find something to do.

Larry, that doesn't sound so much like insomnia, as being adapted to having two sleeps like people used to do.

Back
Top Bottom