Why are my chicken cutlets getting soggy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomamon

Assistant Cook
I am getting so frustrated, everytime I try to bake my chicken cutlets lately they are getting soggy in the oven.

I was spraying them with olive oil pam and thought that was it. But today I tried a coating of real olive oil. They looked great, flipped them over and when I went to flip them again, the side that was crisp was all soggy.

They never use to do this and I can not figure out why. I have them breaded with eggs and breadcrumbs and bake them on 350.

Cook them on a short wire mesh rack or grill, to keep the cutlets from simmering in their grease. I bought a couple of them at my local restaurant supply although they never told me what they are used for. They elevate whatever is placed upon the wire mesh about 1/2 inch, and allow the grease to collect on the surface below without contacting the item being cooked.

Hi, thomamom. :) Yes, use a baking rack to keep them out of the grease. Make sure your oven is completely preheated, and I would probably go a little higher, maybe 375F, to get that crispy coating. When you take them out of the oven, keep them on the rack a for a bit before you serve them, so the air can circulate around them and keep them crisp.

There shouldn't be a need to coat them with oil after you've breaded them with your egg and breadcrumb mixture, maybe that's also what's keeping them from getting crispy.

Now I want breaded chicken cutlets. :chef::)

A trick I use is to bake them on a bed of twiggy herbs. I use rosemary as I have an unlimited supply, but any will work. I get soggy cutlets when they boil in grease.

A trick I use is to bake them on a bed of twiggy herbs. I use rosemary as I have an unlimited supply, but any will work. I get soggy cutlets when they boil in grease.
I've done that too! I had a huge rosemary bush in my garden. I had an unlimited supply of rosemary. I often cooked pork chops on a bed of rosemary, with good results.

Thoma: Chicken Cutlets Better Sautéed in Olive Oil

:yum: Buonasera,

Firstly, I would be reluctant to bake pounded Italian chicken cutlets or veal cutlets, as they are so quick to prepare and they are very fine and delicate.

I would employ chicken breasts for baking.

Another point, might be to use a different type of bread crumbs for a real crispy chicken.

I only use 1 tblsp. per person of olive oil or Evoo when sauté-ing ... Which oil did you use ?

The bread crumbs which I had been recommended on D.C. to use are Japanese, Panko, and I believe is their name at moment. Normally, I use Italian ones in Italy and make my own in Madrid Capital.

Hope all turns out much better the next time ...

Ciao, Kind regards. ;)
Margaux. :cool:

As soon as you flip the crispy side down, the cutlets are exuding some liquid and that causes that side to go soggy. I think I would raise the temp to keep the liquids evaporated or saute them on top of the stove.

Thank you everyone!

I will have to try and find something like that to put them on.

I never had a problem until recently, so I don't understand what it was. My neighbor use to bake them like this all the time and they were the best I ever had, they were never soggy. I finally got to the point where I I am so frustrated.

I do not want to fry them, trying to do it on a little healthier side.

I think I will check Bed, Bath & Beyond and see if they have everything.

Back
Top Bottom