Why Can I Not Make a Cheese Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also cook the flour and butter for a minute, and I sometimes add nutmeg, depending on what I'm cooking. I always add salt, as well.

Sorry, I left that part out.

By the way, you can change the sauce by using half milk and half chicken broth (or clam juice).

You can also add enough tomato sauce to turn it pink, adjust the seasoning and make an etouffee sauce.

Cheese sauce

Sounds like you may be missing a key item, butter. I have learned by making many a lumpy, grainy, oily cheese like pan full of goop myself. The butter seems to help tremendously. I am a big fan of alfredo and if I forget butter, does not take long for it to curdle.

I also know that whole milk or whipping cream works best- lowfat seems to no want to play right.

It's not just the butter - in your original recipe, it looks like you said you tried to melt the butter into milk. That won't work - you need to make a roux, as described above, with butter (or oil) and flour, cook them together for a few minutes, then add the milk, cook and stir till it thickens, then take the pan off the heat and add the cheese, a small handful at a time, stirring constantly, till it's all melted. This should work :)

Alfredo sauce is basically the same thing, but you add Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar.

Here's a trick I use making a cheese sauce to use with pasta which I am cooking at the same time. Reserve about a 1/4 cup of the pasta water and use that as your roué. I don't understand the chemistry involved but it was explained to me one time. It has to do with the starch and cheese which is why flour also works to keep the cheese from separating when heated or get lumpy. Anyway the pasta water adds no other flavor to the dish and I don't need to cover up the flour taste or add additional fat with butter. Pasta water can also be used to thicken a sauce which does not have cheese, it's just starch and water.

Denoly - thanks, I do believe it might be the butter. I have never put that in. Also, can you give me your recipe for alfredo sauce.

This is a staple in my house- cannot take credit- this is a Tyler Florence recipe, but works every time. :)
  • 1 pint heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • Chopped fresh
    showlist_icon.gif
    flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
To prepare alfredo sauce: Heat heavy cream over low-medium heat in a deep saute pan. Add butter and whisk gently to melt. Sprinkle in cheese and stir to incorporate. Season with freshly cracked black pepper. In a large stockpot, cook pasta in plenty of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Quickly drain the pasta and add it to the saute pan, gently toss the noodles to coat in the alfredo. Transfer pasta to a warm serving bowl. Top with more grated cheese and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

Back
Top Bottom