"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
Executive Chef

My Family name is now Morin (more'-ä) which is French, but my mothers maiden name was Van Vliet. Does that qualify me as Dutch? I have always associated myself with Dutch, even though my ancestors came from New Amsterdam. The used to live near a large maple tree just off Manhattan

Hey Bri, some of my ancestors settled in New Amsterdam, after the King of England revoked the Edict of Nantes. Apparently it was not a good time to be a protestant in France.......

Old 04-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Candida is not an imbalanced immune system. It is a kind of yeast and is a disease form basically. In babies it is called "thrush" and the child gets a whitish overgrowth in their mouth. That is why you cut down on things that contain yeast. Mushrooms are not "bacteria". They are fungi. A balance of intestinal flora of bacteria is indeed beneficial. Often when taking a lot of antibiotics this is wiped out also and must be replaced artificially.
Button mushrooms are quite edible--used to make a raw mushroom salad with a vinaigrette dressing.

Old 04-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorrepoes
I have often heard, and also the Dutch Nutrition Council (I am Dutch) states that raw mushrooms are toxic. Is this true ???? And so, why ??

Knorrepoes
Welcome to DC, Knorrepoes.

Never had a problem with raw shrooms purchased in the supermarket in the U.S. I brush 'em/clean 'em off. If you'e picking wild mushrooms, I might be concerned.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:14 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Agaritine

The original poster has a point although I would not worry too much..., see www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-saf86.htm

There is a toxin in the common mushroom, agaritine.

webmaster@food-info.net
Old 04-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Cook

Mushrooms are great for flavor but fo r some reason to me raw ones tasts like dirt.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by katluvscake
Mushrooms are great for flavor but fo r some reason to me raw ones tasts like dirt.
I prefer "earthy" but DH agrees with you -Glenda
Old 04-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Any mushroom that is edible, is something you can eat raw. I like them in salads or marinated raw, but also love them cooked in recipes that are appropriate.

Casper
Old 04-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #18
Master Chef

Casper - that may be true for the various types of cultivated varieties that show up in the supermarkets these days, but it's definitely not true for edbile wild mushrooms. There are quite a few that, while they might not kill you if eaten raw, can make you quite sick if not cooked first.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #19
Master Chef

I know morels aren't any good raw...just a taste thing, I think. But I eat raw buttons on crudite trays or marinated in Italian dressing for salads. Sometimes, I marinate canned artichoke hearts along with the shrooms, and serve the salad with sliced black olives, grape tomatoes, julienned salami, and grated parmesan cheese. That's a good salad!
Old 04-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Breezy - Your knowledge is exactly why I am here... Please educate me on poisonious mushrooms (or un-healthly) that are this way when un-cooked.

Casper

PS... You also are on the (my list) list of good people that contiribute regularly. Thanks!