"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2006, 09:25 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Why can't you eat raw mushrooms ?

I have often heard, and also the Dutch Nutrition Council (I am Dutch) states that raw mushrooms are toxic. Is this true ???? And so, why ??

Knorrepoes

Old 04-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Head Chef

I've eaten raw mushrooms and so has my Dutch husband. Some people do have a reaction to cooked or raw mushrooms but not everyone.

Old 04-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Raw mushrooms are fine to eat as long as you're eating one that is not poisonous.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Master Chef

I eat raw button mushrooms in my salads and I'm still here
Old 04-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
have always ate raw mushrooms...same with my kids......unless we arent really here????

Does it state what type of mushroom? Maybe that matters....
Old 04-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
Master Chef

can't I??
I always do - and I think as long as they're not toxic it should be okay...
btw... poisonous mushrooms are still bad when cooked...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:14 AM   #7
Everymom

Type of mushroom is very important. Just google and you will find out more than you ever wanted to know about mushrooms.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Master Chef

The common white button mushrooms are perfectly fine to eat raw. I frequently use them on crudite platters with dip, & they are absolutely necessary to a great spinach salad. The tiny stem-like Japanese Enoki mushrooms are also normally eaten raw in Japanese cuisine.

This is not true of other varieties however. Some like shitake, cremini, & the older cremini known as Portobellos, aren't toxic, but are strong-tasting & can be difficult to digest when consumed raw.

Other more exotic types can be toxic or at the very least cause digestive upset.

You just have to know exactly what mushroom you have before deciding whether or not to cook it.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i agree with everyone who said they're ok, so long as they're not the poisonous variety.
if you eat a lot, it'll make you a fungi to be with...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to BrianMorin Send a message via Yahoo to BrianMorin Send a message via Skype™ to BrianMorin
It sounds like a bit of an exaggeration to me. My Family name is now Morin (more'-ä) which is French, but my mothers maiden name was Van Vliet. Does that qualify me as Dutch? I have always associated myself with Dutch, even though my ancestors came from New Amsterdam. The used to live near a large maple tree just off Manhattan

Anyway, someone who has candida, which is an imbalanced immune system, where bacteria (which are mushrooms) of a sort that, if in too large numbers, will imbalance the digestive system and start to take over the body. Under normal conditions, when these bacteria are in proper balance the are not a stress to the body. Au contraire, (just the opposite) they are, at that balanced point, very beneficial to the body.

Now If you have candida, it is not advisable to eat mushrooms (non-poisonous variety as the poisonous variety is never advisable to eat, unless you have a death wish or have special powers – I would not advise it at any rate), I would not advice you to eat mushrooms while suffering from candida at any rate.
What do I mean by mushrooms? In the case of a candida sufferer, many, but not all fermented foods are advisable to avoid while afflicted with candida, and other, oddly enough are greatly encouraged:

Discouraged: Tempeh, miso, bread (yeasted), even too much starch.

Encouraged: I might add that in most cases, it is more important to inundate your system with good or friendly bacteria to ride yourself of candida that to completely eliminate the “Discouraged” bacteria mentioned above, unless the problem is chronic or beyond. Yoghurt (especially the type with bifidus, as well as the regular stains of acidophilus). This is a bit of a run down. If you want more information on the subject you might want to visit:

Flora: Where you can get information, as well as buy product I believe.

Udo Erasmus Web site: He has a great line of Probiotics. Friendly Bacteria for people who need it. (Disclaimer: I have no professional affiliation with either of these companies - I'm clean - Bri

Ok, that's it! I'm going outside. It's the most beautiful day we've had this your. - Bri

Aad Sach Sing

- "History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
- "History is the lie commonly agreed upon," - Voltaire
- Quis cusodiet ipsos custodes? - Who will guarde the guards? (Latin expression)
BrianMorin is offline   Reply With Quote