"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
Head Chef
Wine not only acts as a flavor enhancer, especially when making sauces, but it is a tenderizer for slow cooking, either in the oven or Crock Pot.
As for type of wine, for red I use Cabernet Sauvingon or a good Italian wine but for white wine I prefer Chenin Blanc or Pinot Grigio. I've read several times that Chardonnay tends to leave a bitter finish and I have to agree it does.

If you seriously want to learn more about cooking with wine, go to Google.com and type in the search box "Cooking with wine." You will get a real education on this subject and find more recipes than you can handle.

Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
Senior Cook
I have always found a Riesling to be a good wine for cooking, but that may just be a personal thing; it is slightly sweeter and fruitier than a Chardonnay, which matches my tastes.

For red, I think you have to be more careful to match or contrast flavors and intensities. For a good middle-range flavor intensity, I like to use a Shiraz, and for heavier dishes I go with a Cabernet Sauvignon.

And to save money, I make my own wine, which is a very rewarding experience in itself. I also make beer, which will sometimes find its way into my cooking as well!

ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Leftover? There are only about 3 glasses of wine in a 750-ml bottle. No leftovers at our house

I like sweeter wines, too, and I'm not a fan of red wine at all - drunk straight, it gives me headaches. I like Pinot Grigio, Riesling or even white zinfandel for white wine, and I use Chianti in my lasagna meat sauce.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
One thing I personally want to explore as far as cooking with white wines is to try using New Zealand wines. Apparently, a popular thing for NZ vineyards to do is to store their wines in SS drums instead of the usual oaken barrel. I've only ever had one NZ wine before, but I can tell you it was excellent. I think that maybe using wine that has been stored in steel maybe help to eliminate some of the more unpleasant characteristics that whites sometimes have.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #15
Head Chef
I generally use for cooking a wine that would be suitable or similar to the one that I would serve with the dish. The exception is if I am serving an expensive wine. I have a problem, however with pouring a $50 bottle of wine into a wine sauce, and generally use something similar in the under $10 range. The best place to store the remainder of the bottle, in my opinion, is in glasses at the table. Nothing enhances a dinner more than serving a compatible wine. Don't know much about wines? Get yourself a good wine merchant and use them for a starting point to develop your own preferences. There are a lot of good inexpensive wines around, and the merchants job is to find them and let you know.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #16
Head Chef
I gotta hand it to ya, BigJim. You have a way with words and I couldn't agree more.
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Adds flavor !
allwellbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Wine is an integral part of many classic dishes - just think of Coq-au-vin or Boeuf a la mode. The wine adds a richness and depth of flavour that cannot be replicated without the wine. White wine used in a sauce chasseur, in moules mariniere or simply in poaching fish is a necessity - not an option. The question that often arises is what wine to use and how much should I pay for it? The answer is simple - if you wouldn`t drink it - don`t cook with it.
archiduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
Sous Chef
I ended up with a bottle of California Pinot Grigio.

I do not drink wine, so I am going to try the ice cube suggestion.
jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 AM   #20
Master Chef
I want to chime in here: if you don't drink wine, buy a fortified wine for cooking. Vermouth, sherry, port, marsala, etc. These have a longer shelf life than other wines and a dollop will add the rich flavor you're looking for. I actually prefer dry vermouth to regular white wine when it comes to cooking (and yes, I am a wino).

I have to say, though, that I ran out of wine and was going to braise a tough old chuck. Hubby said, "I think there's a bottle of dark beer in the back of the fridge." I braised that animal in that bottle of beer and it was to die for! Yummy!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote