"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazenAmateur View Post
Am I the only one that "stores" leftover wine in mah bellay?

Never cook with anything you couldn't at least tolerate drinking, and if there's leftover from cooking, then there's more left for drinking!

win/win
We rarely have any leftover wine either.........

Old 01-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #32
Master Chef

A sweet sherry will do in many recipes for marsala, just use less of it. It is quite sweeter than marsala. Don't buy "cooking" wine of any sort, it is too salty.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Cooking Marsala? I've never run across that but it sounds gross.

Are you sure your liquor store doesn't carry marsala? Pm me if mot.
I always thought that marsala was only a cooking wine. I guess that explains why I cannot make a chicken marsala that compares to what I have at restaurants.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I always thought that marsala was only a cooking wine. I guess that explains why I cannot make a chicken marsala that compares to what I have at restaurants.
That's not what jennyema meant. There is "wine" - and there is some sort of liquid labeled "cooking wine". One has an alcohol content and the other does not. Just like Marsala. There is Marsala, and then something labeled "cooking" marsala. Anything labeled "cooking" wine, or "cooking" sherry, or "cooking" marsala is absolutely NOT the same as wine, or sherry, or marsala that one would drink. The "cooking" varieties of these things are loaded with so much sodium that there is virtually little else to taste.

The restaurant marsala probably has a LOT more butter in it than you normally cook with and that alone will REALLY smooth out the flavor. It could also be a different brand of marsala. Next time you go to this restaurant ask what brand marsala they use. Ask if they will tell you how they make the sauce. They may do that.

Check out this recipe and see how it compares to your recipe. This always turns out great!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #35
Head Chef

There is a dry Marsala and a sweet Marsala. It could be that you're using the "other" one and that may be why yours tastes differently than the restuarant's. Don't even think of using cooking wine. That stuff is nasty and not even in the same class as wine.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Cooking wine tastes like salt water. Which is great if you're a fish.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
That's not what jennyema meant. There is "wine" - and there is some sort of liquid labeled "cooking wine". One has an alcohol content and the other does not. Just like Marsala. There is Marsala, and then something labeled "cooking" marsala. Anything labeled "cooking" wine, or "cooking" sherry, or "cooking" marsala is absolutely NOT the same as wine, or sherry, or marsala that one would drink. The "cooking" varieties of these things are loaded with so much sodium that there is virtually little else to taste.

The restaurant marsala probably has a LOT more butter in it than you normally cook with and that alone will REALLY smooth out the flavor. It could also be a different brand of marsala. Next time you go to this restaurant ask what brand marsala they use. Ask if they will tell you how they make the sauce. They may do that.

Check out this recipe and see how it compares to your recipe. This always turns out great!
The only marsala I have ever seen in the store is the "some sort of liquid" to which you referred. I will have to get some real marsala and try the recipe you cited.

Is there some kind of rule-of-thumb regarding what kind of wine should be added to what kind of dish (keep in mind that I do not drink wine)?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #38
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
Cooking wine tastes like salt water. Which is great if you're a fish.
beer on the other hand...
Old 02-01-2008, 12:40 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
The only marsala I have ever seen in the store is the "some sort of liquid" to which you referred. I will have to get some real marsala and try the recipe you cited.

Is there some kind of rule-of-thumb regarding what kind of wine should be added to what kind of dish (keep in mind that I do not drink wine)?
Well.........yes and no. You can cook chicken pieces in either white wine OR red wine. Red wine is good with spaghetti sauce but I have also added white wine to a tomato-based stew (diced canned tomatoes).

OK - I did a quick search and THIS site seems to be interesting! I'm off to read now!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #40
Master Chef

I am not much of a wine drinker either, and don't know squat about which wine goes with what. But, most recipes I have been picking up that call for wine tell me which to use, and if they don't I go to a specific liquor store because all the wine on their shelf is labeled with what it pairs well with. Makes it much easier.

My wife on the other hand, she loves wine. And now that I am cooking with it, she is reaping the benefits as well as I am able to pick up wines that, again, pair with the meal we are having. So she is enjoying better selections thanks to you guys, LOL.