"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-15-2008, 02:45 AM   #41
Assistant Cook

Ill gladly cook with a bottle of wine that only costs 3 bux a bottle. I wouldnt really drink it unless absolutly necessary but at the same time, when you cook wine your are destroying a lot of the flavor compounds and taking away a lot of the subtleties of wine. So you dont ever want to pay more than 8 bux a bottle. Then you pair the dish with a wine of the same type that costs 15 to 20 bux a bottle

Old 03-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #42
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchlord View Post
Ill gladly cook with a bottle of wine that only costs 3 bux a bottle. I wouldnt really drink it unless absolutly necessary
Why? Price does not have to be a reflection of quality. How do you know you would not want to drink a $3 bottle unless you tasted it? For all you know it could turn out to be delicious. Don't judge a book by its cover or better yet don't judge a bottle by its price tag.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #43
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Why cooking with wine? and why not using the "el cheapo" kind of wine?
For the same reason you cook with unsalted butter instead of lard or shortening.
For the same reason you select produce and don't get cheaper stuff with today's expiration day.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #44
Cook

I've also heard that adding an acid to a poaching liquid makes it do something...different...I think cook better? Anyone?

I usually add white wine to my poaching liquid when poaching salmon, and I much prefer it over poaching without the wine. It does taste better, almost subtle with just a hint of the wine I put in.

Mike
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Ill gladly cook with a bottle of wine that only costs 3 bux a bottle. I wouldnt really drink it unless absolutly necessary
Totally not true! I found that in Germany when I lived there, that often the cheaper bottle would taste the best!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:27 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

I love to cook with wine, it gives such a wonderful flavor to the dish. You have to make sure that you let it reduce or it will be too strong. I agree with everyone else that you don't cook with wine that you wouldn't drink. The wine that you buy in the grocery stores that call themselves cooking wine are terrible. I would much rather use a stock rather than any of these. But the wine that you cook with doesn't have to be expensive either. I have used wine from the grocery store (in the alcohol section, not the vinegar isle) and the dish comes out very good. You can find an inexpensive riunite for example in white or red depending on your dish that work perfectly well. Of course quality ingrediants are always much better, but who can afford to put a 100. dollar bottle of wine in a chicken dish?
Old 03-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #47
Cook

Here's a link to my blog post which I entered today. Last night I made Coq Au Vin (Chicken with Wine) at home and photographed the process step-by-step. Coq Au Vin is a traditional French dish and is quite simple to prepare and is based on the use of red wine.

Livingston Cooks: COQ AU VIN -THE LITTLE PEASANT DISH

Cheers,

Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:05 PM   #48
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
Here's a link to my blog post which I entered today. Last night I made Coq Au Vin (Chicken with Wine) at home and photographed the process step-by-step. Coq Au Vin is a traditional French dish and is quite simple to prepare and is based on the use of red wine.

Livingston Cooks: COQ AU VIN -THE LITTLE PEASANT DISH

Cheers,

Marko
Marko: I love Coq au Vin and have made it several times. I printed your recipe because it's different than the French versions I use. However, I realized there are no amounts for the ingredients. You wanna run that past us again??? Thanks.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #49
Senior Cook

I use wine alot when I cook. It adds flavor and makes the sauce.
Could you imagine Chicken Marsala without Marsala?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #50
Cook

Drama Queen:

Actually...recipes with quantities are seldom going to be seen on my blog unless I post baking recipes. Precise quanitiies are only for maintaining consistency in my opinion and the purpose of my blog is to encourage people to look at the principles of cooking rather than to remember quantities.

Marko

Marko is offline   Reply With Quote