Why did my canned cheese explode?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Look, this is serious. The most distressing risk from improperly canned food is botulism, which can be deadly in very small amounts. If this cheese was contaminated with botulism, you most likely wouldn't be experiencing symptoms yet, because it apparently can take 36 hours to 3 days for symptoms to present, or longer, when ingested.

Here in the US we had a botulism problem with some canned foods back in 2007. The infected cans began to explode.

You need to read up on the symptoms and seek medical help immediately if you or anyone to whom you fed this cheese begins to experience them.

Disease Listing: Botulism General Information | CDC DFBMD
Botulism - MayoClinic.com
Botulism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with appletart and wyogal

Eating anything from a can that has exploded on its own (ie not from heating the contents, etc) is extremely foolhardy, IMO.

Like apple and GB have pointed out, food poisoning can take up to 48 hours to present. And some forms of it have symptoms you might not recognize as being from foodbourne illness.

A foreign product with foreign labeling that explodes in my kitchen is going directly in the trash and any remnants of it are going to be cleaned with antibacterial wipes or bleach.

Yeah, it tastes great. :) I gave it a wash, after it exploded out of the can, and put it in the fridge. We still have some of it left. The use by date isnt until December, so it shouldnt have gone bad, until some time after then, if it hadnt been opened.

Are you out of your mind? Appletart already mentioned botulism, which FYI produces the deadliest toxin on earth. For the love of God throw it out!

Canned cheese? Thats one I haven't heard before. I'm not sure what to tell you Mel, but I think I would err on the side of caution if I were you and not eat anymore of it. If it can blow up a can imagine what it could do to you.

Agreed, but just for reference's sake, Velveeta came in a can long ago...

Are you out of your mind? Appletart already mentioned botulism, which FYI produces the deadliest toxin on earth. For the love of God throw it out!

Or at least just inject it into your face if you want to get some use out of it! :ROFLMAO:

Agreed, but just for reference's sake, Velveeta came in a can long ago...

Must have been a VERY long time ago. I only ever remember the box. Kept crayons and pencils in those boxes forever it seems. Just how old ARE you MetalChef? You look younger than me...or is that just Oil of Olay at work?

Must have been a VERY long time ago. I only ever remember the box. Kept crayons and pencils in those boxes forever it seems. Just how old ARE you MetalChef? You look younger than me...or is that just Oil of Olay at work?

Sorry. Had a major brain cramp. It wasn't Velveeta.

It was this stuff.... :LOL:

48 hours. Mel how are you feeling.
I work in the can manufacturing industry, I'd recommend not eating food from cans that bulge, the foil tops or lids, weeping from seams, exploding cans, anything irregular in a can. Cans that are gassing hydrogen and making the cans appear to not have a tight vacuum seal--are decomposing, rotting or the food is chemically reacting with parts of the can or coatings inside the can.
If you contact the manufacturer, you'll need the printed codes from both the label, printed on the paper outside layer or on the printed can itself, as well as the codes printed on the ends of the can or under the label if it is paper. One set of codes is from the food manufacturer putting the food in the can, the other set is from the can manufacturer.
Let us know you are okay Mel. Thanks, Bliss

Back
Top Bottom