Why did my canned cheese explode?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
Last night I was woken up by a loud explosion. It came from the kitchen direction so I went to look.

A can of Turkish cheese had exploded and the cheese had flown out of it. The cheese was in a regular can that canned food comes in, but had not yet been opened. It was one of the newer types of cans, where you put a ring at the top of the can, rather than use a can opener.

Anyone know why it exploded?

I'd bet it was rotting. The decomposition generated gases which increased the pressure in the can causing it to explode. Be grateful. If you had eaten it, you could be dead now.

****, I've eaten some of it. I'm dead! Oh wait, I'm not. It would seem the first logical explanation, but then again, if it would be so rotten that the gasses made the tin explode, how come the cheese didn't taste or look anything like rotten? :S

It could be part of the fermentation process that turns milk and cream into cheese in the first place. Did it taste OK?

Yeah, it tastes great. :) I gave it a wash, after it exploded out of the can, and put it in the fridge. We still have some of it left. The use by date isnt until December, so it shouldnt have gone bad, until some time after then, if it hadnt been opened.

mistakes happen - that can may not have been fully processed and I would not eat or keep any of it.

Hi Mel,
I'm new to the forum but have been reading some of the posts and thought this forum is something I could contribute to! I was interested in your problem with the cheese, I can't say in the Uk I've come across tinned cheese. However as a Home Economics teacher and having studied bacteria I would say the problem is definitely with the processing of the can and bacteria within it. Is there a sell by date on the can? If so you should return it to the store or manufacturer and explain what has happened. It would then be up to them to analise it scientifically and you could insist on feedback from them. The most harmful bacteria does not smell or taste ....you have been lucky with tasting it.
I'd love to know if you do get it professionally analised.
Good luck!

I know that cheese outgasses as it approaches the point of no return but I would assume that anything canned has some sort of preservative added.

Oh and WELCOME annie33!!

Canned cheese? Thats one I haven't heard before. I'm not sure what to tell you Mel, but I think I would err on the side of caution if I were you and not eat anymore of it. If it can blow up a can imagine what it could do to you.

Yes, please don't eat any more of that cheese! Unless it was designed to explode on you, something went wrong in the canning process. Just because you feel OK now does not mean it is safe to eat. Sometimes food poisoning can take days to manifest symptoms. I agree with the sentiment to return the product. I'm not sure I'd want it replaced.

Something about "canned cheese" just doesn't sound right to me in the first place. :ermm:
I'm with the group that advises you not eat any more of it. :wacko:

I wanna see a picture of this stuff.
NOt pressurized cheese?
Wasn't on a heat source of any kind?
No governmental secret ray installations nearby?

I too think you shouldn't be eating it.

IMO, it should be everyone's personal rule never to eat the contents of a can that exploded all on its own. There's only one reason that happens -- it's giving off gas. And that's hardly ever ok.

IMO the concept of canned cheese in and of itself seems dicey.

I'd also urge you not to eat it.

Hi Mel,
I'm new to the forum but have been reading some of the posts and thought this forum is something I could contribute to! I was interested in your problem with the cheese, I can't say in the Uk I've come across tinned cheese. However as a Home Economics teacher and having studied bacteria I would say the problem is definitely with the processing of the can and bacteria within it. Is there a sell by date on the can? If so you should return it to the store or manufacturer and explain what has happened. It would then be up to them to analise it scientifically and you could insist on feedback from them. The most harmful bacteria does not smell or taste ....you have been lucky with tasting it.
I'd love to know if you do get it professionally analised.
Good luck!
The sell by date on the can is for December this year.

Of course I did not get it professionally analised. I have better things to do, than that, when it has not made any of us sick. I have had food poisoning before, and it happens soon after eating something bad, and we dont have food poisoning after eating this cheese. But, if I dont post on these forums again, you can assume the bacteria is deadly.

Thanks Annie :)

Mel

I have had food poisoning before, and it happens soon after eating something bad
Do not be fooled by this. it can happen soon after eating something bad, but it can also happen much later. 48 hours after eating bad food you could first see signs of food poisoning. Not to mention there are many different varieties of food poisoning so just because you are not in the bathroom right away does not mean you did not get something or won't.

Back
Top Bottom