"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-14-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Why did my canned cheese explode?

Last night I was woken up by a loud explosion. It came from the kitchen direction so I went to look.

A can of Turkish cheese had exploded and the cheese had flown out of it. The cheese was in a regular can that canned food comes in, but had not yet been opened. It was one of the newer types of cans, where you put a ring at the top of the can, rather than use a can opener.

Anyone know why it exploded?

Old 10-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd bet it was rotting. The decomposition generated gases which increased the pressure in the can causing it to explode. Be grateful. If you had eaten it, you could be dead now.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
Sous Chef

****, I've eaten some of it. I'm dead! Oh wait, I'm not. It would seem the first logical explanation, but then again, if it would be so rotten that the gasses made the tin explode, how come the cheese didn't taste or look anything like rotten? :S
Old 10-14-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

It could be part of the fermentation process that turns milk and cream into cheese in the first place. Did it taste OK?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Yeah, it tastes great. :) I gave it a wash, after it exploded out of the can, and put it in the fridge. We still have some of it left. The use by date isnt until December, so it shouldnt have gone bad, until some time after then, if it hadnt been opened.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Cook

mistakes happen - that can may not have been fully processed and I would not eat or keep any of it.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hi Mel,
I'm new to the forum but have been reading some of the posts and thought this forum is something I could contribute to! I was interested in your problem with the cheese, I can't say in the Uk I've come across tinned cheese. However as a Home Economics teacher and having studied bacteria I would say the problem is definitely with the processing of the can and bacteria within it. Is there a sell by date on the can? If so you should return it to the store or manufacturer and explain what has happened. It would then be up to them to analise it scientifically and you could insist on feedback from them. The most harmful bacteria does not smell or taste ....you have been lucky with tasting it.
I'd love to know if you do get it professionally analised.
Good luck!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
Mr. Greenjeans

I know that cheese outgasses as it approaches the point of no return but I would assume that anything canned has some sort of preservative added.

Oh and WELCOME annie33!!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Everymom

Canned cheese? Thats one I haven't heard before. I'm not sure what to tell you Mel, but I think I would err on the side of caution if I were you and not eat anymore of it. If it can blow up a can imagine what it could do to you.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Yes, please don't eat any more of that cheese! Unless it was designed to explode on you, something went wrong in the canning process. Just because you feel OK now does not mean it is safe to eat. Sometimes food poisoning can take days to manifest symptoms. I agree with the sentiment to return the product. I'm not sure I'd want it replaced.