Why didn't my rice cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

synecdoche

Assistant Cook
Okay, I was trying to make something last night, and it didn't quite turn out, and I am not sure why.

I was putting together a sort of stew, I guess, with no recipe. In the pan, I cooked some onions, garlic, and red pepper. I added a can of tomatoes (with the juices), and brought it to boiling; then I added some brown rice. I know brown rice takes a long time to cook, so I reduced the heat to a low simmer, covered it, and left it for 45 minutes. The rice was still practically raw!

I thought that this would work. I left it on for another 15 minutes, and it didn't really get any better.

I don't know-- is this just a matter of more time, or am I completely off my rocker thinking that this should cook the brown rice? I kept everything, so if I can just continue heating it, I'll do so tonight, but I am trying to diagnose where I went wrong.

Thanks!

Maybe the rice was ancient?
Recently we made some creole using brown rice. Similar ingredients and
the same cooking method and the rice was fine. So the methodology seems
to be solid.....

Someone else will have a better idea, I bet. :)

I was putting together a sort of stew, I guess, with no recipe. In the pan, I cooked some onions, garlic, and red pepper. I added a can of tomatoes (with the juices), and brought it to boiling; then I added some brown rice.

Hi. Was the can of tomatoes with juices the only liquid you added to the dish? Brown rice usually needs 1.5 times as much liquid as rice, so if you added 1 cup of rice, you would need 1.5 cups of liquid. If there wasn't enough liquid, the rice would not get soft, no matter how long you cooked it. I doubt the liquid from the tomatoes was enough to cook the rice.

Thanks-- I only just bought the rice, so it shouldn't be too ancient!

GotGarlic: Yep, it was the only liquid I added, but by the end, there was still a lot of (albeit thick) liquid left. Can I add some broth or something and then heat it up again, and give it another shot?

Your rice did not cook due to lack of moisture.... Water/stock/etc. Next time add more liquid. Beef or chicken stock, maybe wine, or just plain water. Whatever fits your recipe idea!

Enjoy!

You can save yourserlf all that aggravation, worry, and guesswork by cooking the rice first, according to the package directions, then adding the cooked rice to the stew you're trying to make.

Back
Top Bottom