"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
One of the biggest reasons for failure of new restaurants is inadequate financing. It takes time to build a clientele, but the rent still has to be paid, and all the other bills as well. so any new restaurant needs cash behind it to ride out the lean time until it catches on (if it's going to). too many restaurants open on a shoestring. A few make it like that, but it's the exception, not the rule.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
There is also an awful lot of internal theft. Huge theft, from food to booze to cash.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #13
Head Chef

I owned a thriving restaurant in a small Northern Iowa town was making good money and paying all of my bills.. Then the Iowa department of transportation( idiot)built a bypass around the town and in three years I went broke to the tune of mega dollars.
so it is not all ways bad food, management, bad vibes. Something completly out of your control does happen to give you the green weenie.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
Something completly out of your control does happen to give you the green weenie.
I have never heard this phrase before but I think it's gonna be my favorite now, Dave! But I am sorry about your restaurant.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
Master Chef

I know what you're talking about Dave. Down here I guess we would call that "Route 66 Syndrome"?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #16
Head Chef

From an ex-restaurant owning family(closed due to my mom retiring). I can say this. If you server GOOD food and have GOOD service for reasonable prices you can make a go of it. You can never serve bad food or bad service. One bad experience will haunt you for a long time. multiple bad service will kill you..

Don't expect to make a lot. Cook cheap, but cook well! do a lot of work yourself. EXPECT to be there all the time for the first few years.

The ones that don't make it usually one of the following.. poor ideas on how its run. Serve food that isn't good, have poor service, too specialized of food(i.e. pannini sandwiches only... etc).

We have a restaurant that is struggling. They only served pressed grill sandwiches with very little on them for big dollars.. Gee, wonder why they aren't making it...
Old 03-07-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff G. View Post
You can never serve bad food or bad service. One bad experience will haunt you for a long time. multiple bad service will kill you..
I have to disagree with the word never in the above quote. There are exceptions to the rule, specifically when it comes to bad service. I have been to a number of thriving restaurants who have had atrocious service and it was known that these places have atrocious service, but because the food is so good people put up with it.

If you have bad food then no one has a reason to visit your restaurant, but bad service can be overcome if your food is good enough.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Everyone on DC has seen restaurants come and go.

Went on the web and it does not seem to be too much of an overestimate that 50 percent or so of all new restaurants close in the first three to tive years. And from the stuff on the web that may be a conservative estimate.

I am just curious as to why some restaurants seem to make it and others do not.
Competition could be one reason restaurants come & go. In my neck of the woods there are so many restaurants competing w one another, it's hard to choose. Unless you have something new/different that sets you apart from your competition, you may fail (possibly w/i the first year). Not enough publicity or a bad review (for those that follow reviews), may also have something to do w being successful. I like trying new restaurants, but find some of the newer/trendier restaurants are pricey & the portions are small. If the restaurant does not take reservations, & there's an hour wait at the bar, chances are I won't return, unless the food is exceptional. Parking is another factor. Some of my faves are the ones that I've gone back to over & over again, because I enjoy the food/atmosphere & the price is right, & know that I won't be disappointed.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot View Post
Everyone on DC has seen restaurants come and go.

Went on the web and it does not seem to be too much of an overestimate that 50 percent or so of all new restaurants close in the first three to tive years. And from the stuff on the web that may be a conservative estimate.

I am just curious as to why some restaurants seem to make it and others do not.
I had a friend whose father opened a restaurant. His closed because of location. His restaurant was tucked behind a subway. Most people I told about the place, said they couldn't find it.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have to disagree with the word never in the above quote. There are exceptions to the rule, specifically when it comes to bad service. I have been to a number of thriving restaurants who have had atrocious service and it was known that these places have atrocious service, but because the food is so good people put up with it.

If you have bad food then no one has a reason to visit your restaurant, but bad service can be overcome if your food is good enough.
OK, never might be a little harsh, but it better be almost never for me.

I will say this if I eat at a restaurant and get bad service twice in a row, I let the management know and I don't eat there again until I hear they have improved the situation. I also let people know if they ask my opinion. Word of mouth can be very powerful.

In my opinion people should not continually patronize restaurants that have poor service. Poor service shows a disrespect for the patron.

Oh, should have added Location, Location, Location--key to success..