"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I ordered a steak out. I prefer the way I cook it at home. I don't know the one place (Hoss) the OP mentioned, but as far as Texas Roadhouse goes, might as well be Golden Corral or Denny's.

I think that is unfair. The Texas Roadhouses I have been to have used a much better quality of meat than Denny's or Golden Corral.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
Half Baked

I usually order a rib-eye if I am eating a steak in a restaurant.
When asked "How would you like it cooked" my reply is
"The way it comes off the grill". It has always come to me med-medium rare. I also like them rare and med well. I just think of them as different steaks that are all tasty. I would send back a steak for toughness before doneness.

I can see being picky if you are spending a premium price at premium steak house like mortons, but I bet they don't screw up too often.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I usually only get asked to cut the steak right away when I have sent my overcooked steak back.

I am picky and like mine rarer than most people.
Ya think?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I can see being picky if you are spending a premium price at premium steak house like mortons, but I bet they don't screw up too often.
First time I at at Ruth's Chris they overcooked my steak. That 700F plate they toss it on will do that ya know. They did make it disappear and brought a new one faster than you can recite Suzy Sell Seashells.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
Ya think?

Usually... Sometimes I forget to and it always causes trouble. Wonder where I get that...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
Half Baked

FrankZ....
Have you ever had a wagyu steak? (Marketed as American Kobe)
We have a steakhouse here that specializes in it. My nephew was the chef there for a while. A la carte the steak was 50+ bucks and side were about 12. They brought us 1 of everything including desserts to try. We only paid for the wine and steaks and the bill was still 300 bucks. I have only had those steaks twice but OMG they put everything else to shame so far.We couldn't eat for 2 days after that. The restaurant has a infrared oven they cook the steaks in that gets over 1000 degress if I remember. It cooks the steak in just a minute or two.

One of my top ten dining experiences.They get quite a few people who will eat them raw or just warmed.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Usually... Sometimes I forget to and it always causes trouble. Wonder where I get that...

Your father, definitely your father.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Executive Chef

DB-- If you are familiar with the restaurant and you know they will want you to cut into it before you are ready, Keep your salad plate firmly in front of you, they will be forced to set the steak to the side. Slowly finish the salad and by the time they check back, the steak will have rested a sufficient time. It helps if you eat your salad slowly to begin with.

I also think it's ok to request they check back if you are not ready to cut into your steak for whatever reason.

Personally, I like medium rare. It's unlikely I would send it back if it's close to that. I've certainly overcooked enough at home. However, If I am paying someone else at a higher price, they should cook it as specified. Which is probably what the server has been instructed to do by management to help determine their cooking quality.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #28
Sous Chef

I'm a server at Red Lobster, and we are instructed to ask the customer to cut into the steak to make sure it is done to their liking. That way if it isn't, we can fix the problem that much faster. I also ask at the two minute check back how they are liking everything, even though I assume everything will be fine. I don't think asking implies that I expect anything to be wrong. I have had a couple customers politely decline to cut into their steak, and that is fine too. Then I just ask when I check back if everything is prepared to their liking.

One of our grill masters consistently wins our regional grill master competitions, and competes at a national level. I certainly have confidence in her abilities, but that doesn't mean mistakes are not possible, and I would rather catch them sooner rather than later.

Oh, and when I ask the customer to check the steak I phrase it, "Would you like to cut into the steak right away to make sure it's done to your liking?" so that they have the open option to say no thank you.

Whiskadoodle- I don't think you need to do anything more than decline to cut into the steak and ask the server to check back. Even if they set the plate to the side of the salad bowl, they will probably still ask you to cut into it if that is what they are instructed to do. That doesn't mean you have to do so if you would rather wait. It's your dinner, and we servers just want to make sure you have the best possible dinner, and the best possible experience.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Skittle, do you know if the steaks rest in the kitchen, before being served?

Good point about possible mistakes. I could have gotten somebody elses steak by accident.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
Skittle, do you know if the steaks rest in the kitchen, before being served?

Good point about possible mistakes. I could have gotten somebody elses steak by accident.
Yes, I have had two steaks get mixed up before. It happens. We have one of the highest volume red lobsters in MN, so unfortunately it's a numbers game. Of course we try not to screw things up, but it happens ;) In our restaurant, we do not make a point to let the steaks rest. We try to plate everything as close to the same time as possible, and get it to the table as fresh and hot as we can.

Tags
steak