"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #61
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

That's outrageous.
When I was a restaurant bartender, the waitrons were supposed to give us a percentage of their tips. They rarely did, though we still had to report tips on our tax forms. Please tip your bartenders!

Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
When I was a restaurant bartender, the waitrons were supposed to give us a percentage of their tips. They rarely did, though we still had to report tips on our tax forms. Please tip your bartenders!
I was a bartender in a night club. The waitresses were supposed to tip me. They wanted me to serve them first, not my customers. We had the occasional fight about that. When there was a slow night, they wanted to tip me less or not at all, but they never offered to pay me more on a busy night. Okay, there was one who did once.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There are two simple reasons I do not wait tables...the poor wages and I just am not cut out to be a waitress.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Waitrons?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It's too bad that restaurants don't have a "call waiter" button similar to the airline "call stewardess" button.
Boy! Did that bring back memories. Haven't thought about this in decades, but I remember eateries with the jukebox remote units at each table.The unit also contained a waiter (waitress in those places) call button.

And, of course, turning on the headlights to summon the carhop.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #66
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Waitrons?
Extreme PC, waitperson being deemed too contrived. Of course, it's now supported by language studies that gender neutral work titles actually do nothing about or aggravate sexism. The gender neutral term is perceived as representing a person of the stereotypical gender for that job, and there's no acknowledgement that the job can as well be done by the other gender. And cultures in which the language has no gender specific nouns tend to be the most abusive of women.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Or maybe it was just shorter than waiter/waitress and funnier than waitperson. Of course server works too.

I once saw some software that said not to use the term fireman, use fire person. That sounds like an arsonist to me. How about fire fighter?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #68
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
Extreme PC, waitperson being deemed too contrived. Of course, it's now supported by language studies that gender neutral work titles actually do nothing about or aggravate sexism. The gender neutral term is perceived as representing a person of the stereotypical gender for that job, and there's no acknowledgement that the job can as well be done by the other gender. And cultures in which the language has no gender specific nouns tend to be the most abusive of women.
Well of course I figured it out. I should have used a winkie in my post.

I don't know anything about gender neutral titles encouraging or discouraging sexism. I think focusing on gendered titles tends to be overly simplistic. As if we only changed all the titles to gender neutral then sexism would disappear.

That is an interesting concept that "cultures in which the language has no gender specific nouns tend to be the most abusive of women." It would make a good PhD thesis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Or maybe it was just shorter than waiter/waitress and funnier than waitperson. Of course server works too.

I once saw some software that said not to use the term fireman, use fire person. That sounds like an arsonist to me. How about fire fighter?
I like the title "server." It's gender neutral without appearing contrived. And here in the PC state of CA the FD people are always called firefighters now.

Funny your mention of 'arsonist,' there was a recent case where fires were being set in Hollywood and the Valley, and many of the news media conspicuously used in their reports "an arsonist or arsoness." I didn't even know there was a gender specific title for a woman who feloniously starts fires.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg
Waitrons?
Actually, it was a title they gave themselves! Male and female.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Actually, it was a title they gave themselves! Male and female.
I think they should have waitrons and waitronesses.

Tags
steak