Why do they sell cooking wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GG, I posted it like that because I figured the wording would get more to click on, thinking Outlawed - what?! Does that mean I could be arrested? As the article states, it is banned, outlawed, or whatever term you want to use, from Federal Laws, along with other terms used for many years, switching to other terms considered less offensive.

And, again, the term Oriental is used by many restaurants, groceries, and even some company names that sell oriental products. So they are probably less bothered by it than some of us are.

I think the idea of putting salt in cooking wine goes back centuries, not just to the prohibition.

Salt no doubt keeps it longer and keeps me from reaching up and pouring some over ice, heh. Also, it's not dreadful as a cooking wine if you need just a splash and you don't want to have to drive to the store for a splash of wine, and it's not a year old with a pile of sludge at the bottom. :LOL:

There are religions that forbid the intake of alcoholic beverages. And there are a lot of recipes that call for cooking wine. It is my understanding that what you find on the grocery store shelf is an offense to mankind. What I fail to understand is why do folks bust their backside all week, get their paycheck on Friday, go to a bar, get smashed and then behind the wheel.

I have never had an alcoholic drink. I certainly wasn't curious as a teenager, and seeing falling down drunks, I am even less curious regarding cooking with wine.

Now my daughter is a great cook. She would rather save her good wine to drink with her meal. But when she makes her marinara sauce for pasta, she uses the grocery store crap. She does withhold part of any salt she would put in her sauce.

Then about a month ago, Pirate asked me if I would object to him drinking a glass or two with his meal. Not in the least. He has found a bottle of wine that he really enjoys. And it is not expensive. I am glad for him. And lo and behold, I suggested that he make a pasta sauce and use some of his wine. Boy was I surprised. It was delicious. I even had more than one helping. Sorry daughter of mine. Pirate's marinara sauce was better than yours. He used up the cup and a half that was left in his bottle for the sauce. The bottle had been sitting there for two weeks or longer.

So unless you have rules of your religion that have forbade the use of alcohol or are a recovering alcoholic, go for the store bought cooking wine. I for one will never condemn you for your choice. Just don't tell me about it. I would rather not know.

By the way, there is one other person who uses grocery store wine. I have seen folks who grew up in a home where alcohol was abused to the point of violence being a daily way of life. Once they left home and established their independence, they will not allow alcohol in their home. I can't say that they are wrong.

After my recent experience with Pirate and wine, I am seriously reconsidering my attitude regarding cooking with alcohol. The real stuff, not the grocery bottle.

pepperhead's link took me to a PBS article with that exact title, GG, and content that fully explains the passing and signing into law of HB-4238 in May of 2016.

It took me to an article titled "Obama signs bill eliminating ‘Negro,’ ‘Oriental’ from federal laws."

This title reflects the content, which is not at all the same as "outlawing," which implies making it illegal.

So unless you have rules of your religion that have forbade the use of alcohol or are a recovering alcoholic, go for the store bought cooking wine. I for one will never condemn you for your choice. Just don't tell me about it. I would rather not know.
After my recent experience with Pirate and wine, I am seriously reconsidering my attitude regarding cooking with alcohol. The real stuff, not the grocery bottle.

Do grocery stores in Massachusetts not sell regular wine? Because what we're talking about is stuff specifically called "cooking wine" because salt has been added to it. It's disgusting and I would never suggest that anyone cook with it. Usually when you add wine to a recipe, you will eventually reduce it by simmering, which concentrates the flavor. It does your food no favors to concentrate something that tastes nasty to begin with.

In the meantime, all the grocery stores in Virginia sell real wines that are fine for both cooking and drinking.

Last edited:
The term "oriental" is considered a slur by many. Consider using "Asian" instead.

What should I call this rug?

safavieh-monaco-ariana-rug-51-x-77-d-20170601202538833~8465988w_790.jpg

Do grocery stores in Massachusetts not sell regular wine? Because what we're talking about is stuff specifically called "cooking wine" because salt has been added to it. It's disgusting and I would never suggest that anyone cook with it. Usually when you add wine to a recipe, you will eventually reduce it by simmering, which concentrates the flavor. It does your food no favors to concentrate something that tastes nasty to begin with.

In the meantime, all the grocery stores in Virginia sell real wines that are fine for both cooking and drinking.

Massachusetts grocery stores do not sell alcoholic beverages. They sell cooking wine. In New Hampshire, grocery stores sell beer and wine. The also sell cooking wine.

No alcohol in NJ grocery and convenience stores, either. They've been trying for decades to let them sell wine and beer, but the liquor store lobbyists probably pay more.

Here in Quebec, we have interesting rules about selling wine anywhere but the provincially operated SAQ. Grocery and convenience stores can sell wines bottled in Quebec. Some (most) of those are imported, but not in the bottles or boxes in which they are sold. So, we can't get fancy wine at a grocery store, but we can get some pretty decent wine there.

GG, I posted it like that because I figured the wording would get more to click on, thinking Outlawed - what?! Does that mean I could be arrested? As the article states, it is banned, outlawed, or whatever term you want to use, from Federal Laws, along with other terms used for many years, switching to other terms considered less offensive.

And, again, the term Oriental is used by many restaurants, groceries, and even some company names that sell oriental products. So they are probably less bothered by it than some of us are.

And I will once again point out that "oriental" like "colored" is an outdated term that is considered to be a slur to many these days.

And Japan is in Asia, even if you don't believe that.

MA assigns licenses in an odd way. When we asked why they don't sell wine at the Shrewsbury Trader Joe's, the manager said the entire chain was allowed only three licenses. They chose to assign those to stores closer in to Boston. That was a long time ago; TJ's might have acquired more licenses since then. I also remember when Wegmans was first moving into the state. They would not finalize any building commitment to a town until the town granted them a license to sell beer and wine. It's amazing how quickly those licenses appear in towns that are suitors for Wegmans grocery stores. :LOL:

Massachusetts grocery Market Basket stores do not sell alcoholic beverages. They sell cooking wine. In New Hampshire, grocery stores sell beer and wine. The also sell cooking wine.
Fixed it! :mrgreen: Actually, every single MA grocery store within a 10 mile radius of us except for Market Basket sells real, drinkable wine, just like a beverage store - or whatever they're called around here if they sell beer and wine. I think the store needs to also sell spirits (liquor) to be called a "packy", or package store, right?

I was a bit confused as the term Oriental is a very common term here. So, my friend Google explained it. It would appear that it's just a North American thing that Oriental is for some reason unacceptable. The rest of world finds it just fine, including Orientals. To Sir_Loin_of_Beef, your rug actually looks Persian.

I was a bit confused as the term Oriental is a very common term here. So, my friend Google explained it. It would appear that it's just a North American thing that Oriental is for some reason unacceptable. The rest of world finds it just fine, including Orientals. To Sir_Loin_of_Beef, your rug actually looks Persian.

Exactly!!

Ross

Florida groceries sell wine and beer.

Not sure about rest of state, but New Orleans and close surrounding areas sell everything in grocery stores. In fact, they have drive through Daiquiri stores. Yet, they have open container laws? :wacko:

Mississippi sells wine and beer in groceries.

Back
Top Bottom