Why do they sell cooking wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I don't use the word "oriental", I thought it was only considered a slur when used about people, not things. I will admit that these things change and I may not be up to date.

You are not the only one. So where do we stand when making Asian (Chinese) food. Is Chinese still acceptable?

When I lived in Everett, there was a liquor store right next to a very busy Walgreen's. The town drunks would harass people going in and out of Walgreen's for money. Then teenagers started to hang around there and would pay the town drunks to buy them liquor. A couple of the drunks also got a severe bruising and beatings. The teenagers were robbing them for what little money they had.

The police stepped in and told the liquor store to stop selling to the drunks and to look for a new location. They made it clear that their license was at risk if they failed to do as told. So until they could find a new location, they kept the door locked with an employee standing there to let in real customers. It took them about three months to find another location. It was in an area that was mostly residential, and in a stand alone building. Plenty of parking.

About six months later there was an article in the local paper, that stated the liquor store was doing more business there than they ever did next to Walgreen's. And no drunks hanging around outside to harass the regular customers.

Here in Eastie, the powers that be will send an older looking teenager into a regular store and ask to buy cigarettes. You have to be 18 or 21 (I think they up the age). And you have to show an valid Mass ID. Should the teenager came out with a pack in hand, the authorities would go in and pull their cigarette license. I have lived here for 18 years. There is one store that is just a block from this building. At one time that store had lost their cigarette and milk license. They were selling milk way past the due dates and it was sour. Plus they had sold a pack of cigarettes to a teenager. That store has changed hands at least three times that I know of. It is hard to stay in business when you can't sell milk or cigarettes. Two items that are big sellers for any store.

The irony of this store is that it is about a half block from a Charter High School and the kids will stop there to buy stuff for their lunch or other foods. But no cigarettes. The new owners are smart. They want to stay in business.

When referring to "Asian Cuisine" most people think of the far east of Asia.

The scope of all of Asia is far too broad to be inclusive of countries like India for example.
I personally enjoy most foods I've experienced from the far east of Asia, but not the foods of India.

For that reason, "Oriental Cuisine" is a more logical term in my opinion, but hey, what do I know about being politically correct. So there. :rolleyes::)

For that reason, "Oriental Cuisine" is a more logical term in my opinion, but hey, what do I know about being politically correct. So there. :rolleyes::)

You probably know more than I do. I have used the word with cuisine to mean Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and Southeast Asian and thought it only offended when applied to people. Your post caused me to look it up again. Guess I'll just stop using it altogether. These hills just aren't worth dying on to me.

About ten years ago I had to complete a form that asked for Race and just left a blank space to fill in. I wrote Caucasian because that was the only appropriate box to check when I was growing up. A lady in an interview setting asked me what I meant. After figuring out what she was talking about I explained I'd never been to the Caucus Mountains, felt no affinity for them, and offered to change my answer to anything she wanted it to be. Turned out White was the only acceptable response so that's what I write now.
Edited to add: Even though "White" feels more like a racist term to me than any of the others mentioned in this conversation so far.

Last edited:
When asked for my ethnicity I guess I have it easy. Native American. Of course they always have the Inuit (Eskimo) with Native American. If they can't keep the two separate, let them guess. I know what I am.

But I do resent the word Indian. I am not from India. Nor are any of my people. A couple of times I have been asked from what tribe. I thought that was very unusual. When I tell the I am Passamaquoddy, nobody knows how to spell it. I have to laugh silently while I watch them struggle with the spelling. Heaven forbid, they should ask me.

I do understand the reason for that question. There are tribes that have developed certain illnesses and physical traits over the century thanks to the white folks. As a result those tribes have been decimated almost to extinction. But not my folks. They are strong and healthy. And very wealthy.

:ROFLMAO: I'm thinking this thread is probably the ultimate example of a subject going "OFF THE RAIL".
:ROFLMAO: image.jpeg

In the United States, during Prohibition when it was illegal to sell alcohol, salt was added to wine to discourage people from drinking it. Taxy, you're the only person I've ever heard say anything about servants. Some Americans had servants, but it was never a big thing like in Europe and Canada, since we've never had royalty or an aristocracy.
My ancestors brought servants with them to PA and MN. They were neither royalty or members of the aristocracy. They were engineers and pharamacists. My great-grandfather's family (paternal) had a groom, housekeeper, and cook. He was orphaned at 12 years' old, hardly royalty or a member of the upper class. My maternal side of the family brought a serving girl with them (according to the census from ~1900). This seemed common according the census records I read for that area.

I believe a lot of households did have helpers at certain times of the year. Farmers certainly relied on threshing crews. According to what I have read about "Grandfather clocks" in Norway (called Bridal or wedding clocks--we have one that is ~325 years old and has been in the family that long), these were given to the bride so that the servants could tell time. Whether it struck every 15 minutes or on the hour. Ours strikes on the hour. I am so used to it, it is white noise. In Canada, I believe a lot of the "servants" were orphaned Irish children. TL probably can clarify that. Indentured servants came to North America as apprentices. I guess it depends on one's interpretation of servant. The US used slaves to work the fields, take care of the household, etc.

Back
Top Bottom