Why do you cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As Justin Wilson put it: "Why do I make nectarine pie? 'Cause I like nectarines."
Why do I go fishing? 'Cause I like to eat fish. The reason I cook is 'cause I like to eat. Nuthin' fancy, mind you, it's just that simple.

I cook because it can be approached as both technical and artistic at once. And because it's creative. And because you can never, ever learn it all or finish improving.

(Oh, and because my wife knows two recipes. Taco, meaning unseasoned ground beef in taco shells, and salmon croquettes. The croquettes aren't bad, but you can only take so much. It runs in her family. Her sister makes the same tacos.)

I cook because it can be approached as both technical and artistic at once. And because it's creative. And because you can never, ever learn it all or finish improving.

(Oh, and because my wife knows two recipes. Taco, meaning unseasoned ground beef in taco shells, and salmon croquettes. The croquettes aren't bad, but you can only take so much. It runs in her family. Her sister makes the same tacos.)

I learned how to cook in self-defense as a kid, I got tired of cooking/eating the same exact thing every week. Limited means, does not mean limited variety, if you learn to play with spices and veg.

I never thought why I cook, I only know I love to cook and it's something you do for your family.

And keeping meals different without falling into a rut is a challenge, so that's why I'm here.

Oh, gosh....so many reasons. Mad Cook hit on several for me. :)

I cook because I love food (good thing I'm a small person and burn calories easily). :LOL: I think it all started with family - my parents both worked and I usually got home before they did, so as a teen I started with spaghetti sauces, stews, Sunday morning breakfasts, and just started playing around with food. We had a garden and I remember thinking how beautiful and tasty the produce was, even as a little kid.

I remember my mom's dishes as well as my grandma's, and have always strived to be as good a cook as they were, in my eyes. I fall short of that, at least according to my memories. :) I love making things that they used to make, and sharing them with my daughters so that the dishes and memories live on.

I cook because I don't like pre-packaged foods, but I do have them occasionally. As some have said, it's a creative outlet and I like creating things. I've had some real flops, lol, but there've been some good ones, too.

My cousin Diana and her late husband Paul had a cooking show on cable TV back in the 80's, called "The New Way Gourmet". LOL. They started out with cooking classes in their home, got the TV show, and went on to write several cookbooks. It was fun to watch them - I was glued to every show and was so inspired by their creativity and enthusiasm. Lots of fun. :)

I'm not a great cook, but I do love creating, even if it's only a fruit or veggie salad, with all those beautiful colors and textures. And here in CA that's what many of my dishes end up being, especially in summer. LOL.

I've really rambled on. This is a fun thread, and I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories!

Hey all!

I personally believe that food is a direct channel to someone's mind and culture. and through cooking different foods, I can learn more about myself, test my limits and broaden my horizon.

As a designer, sometimes our results (product) can often be very subjective and lines can get blurry. But the results for cooking is very honest, which I always find comforting.

So yea! What does cooking mean to you guys? and how does your cooking affect the ones around you?

I cook because raw food is usually bland, unappetizing, or just plain dangerous (think chicken ;)).

I like my own cooking, I've learned to cook the things I like, and I've learned to cook well enough that I can usually figure out new recipes or methods with a little practice. I usually get complements when I cook for others, but I don't usually do anything very complicated.

I'm a fan of Italian style cooking (not only Italian foods), with limited ingredients nicely seasoned. I've gotten pretty good at opening the pantry and inventing something palatable on the fly with just what's on hand.

I like baking my own bread, but I have to limit that to once or twice a month at most because otherwise I'd weigh 400 pounds. I rarely bake any sweets, for the same reason.

So, basically I like to cook because I like to eat. :chef:

Well, I guess because it has been my profession for 22 years. Though my days in the kitchen are fewer and fewer, my passion is still there and I find cooking at home to be far more enjoyable, now that I'm not in a kitchen everyday for 16 hours.

Cooking/food is a universal thing. Every culture has it's cuisine and techniques. Every meal has the potential to create bonds and lasting memories. I like cooking/food, for those reasons as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cook for many reasons.

I truly enjoy cooking.

I can be as creative as I want while cooking.

I think of it not only as a necessity, but also as a hobby.

It is a never-ending experiment of trying new things .. like a science lab at times.

It is something I can get so involved in that it becomes a therapy of sorts for my mind.

I cook because I like to eat.

I cook because my DH likes to eat and he loves my cooking.

It is the one and only thing I can do that does not scare me if I faulter or fail .. I can always fix it up.

Plus I get to play with some of the coolest "toys" in the world !

I cook for many reasons.

I truly enjoy cooking.

I can be as creative as I want while cooking.

I think of it not only as a necessity, but also as a hobby.

It is a never-ending experiment of trying new things .. like a science lab at times.

It is something I can get so involved in that it becomes a therapy of sorts for my mind.

I cook because I like to eat.

I cook because my DH likes to eat and he loves my cooking.

It is the one and only thing I can do that does not scare me if I faulter or fail .. I can always fix it up.

Plus I get to play with some of the coolest "toys" in the world !

What she said!:)

We have been packing to move back to the US, and that has created some interesting challenges. Between packing kitchen equipment and trying to empty the pantry, I have fewer options. Tonight I made wings. I mixed together some thyme, Montreal Chicken, chili powder, Spanish paprika, local sea salt collected in the island salt ponds, black pepper, red pepper flakes, olive oil, Liquid Smoke, Worcestershire sauce, orange juice, pineapple juice, pineapple rum. Baked in the oven at 400° for 45 minutes.

Tasted great! Seems like its hard to really make bad wings if you just use a little sense.

I learned to cook watching my mother and helping her. She had a wood burning stove. I never thought it unusual. We had a lot of neighbors who cooked on a wood burning stove. I learned to put my hand in the oven and count until it was a certain number before I had to withdraw it. Then I knew it was the right temperature for a cake or some other food.

I still cook the foods my mother taught me to make. And some my first husband taught me. I find cooking very therapeutic. I love prepping the veggies for a stew or even a dinner. Very rarely do I buy a can of veggie. If I do, it will be probably sliced beets for beet salad.

There are certain foods I just have to peel. Cucumbers, potatoes for mashed, all carrots. There are just some peelings I am not willing to eat. I will often run a fork down the side. It gives the veggie an appealing look.

I have yet to have a failure making gravy. Whether it is pan gravy or from the juices of the roast. Never a lump. I thank my mother for that. She gave me the secret.

I cook because it is a way to bring out the feelings of taking care of my children. They are all grown now, but still want me to make special dishes for them.

So why do I love to cook.

For my family
For the pleasure it gives me.
Seeing how much others enjoy the food I fixed for them.
And because it gives me time to just think quietly while I am cooking. :angel:

I cook to stick it to the Man and all his manufactured food by-products.

I'm a "foodie:" someone who loves to cook, loves to eat and loves to talk about/write about food. My love of cooking came originally from my WWII Marine Father who loved to cook long before it was cool to be a man in the kitchen.

Cooking for me is "therapy." Nothing is quite so satisfying than creating something tasty in the kitchen. My wife and I have traveled extensively and she remembers people, places and things. I primarily remember what I ate! Sharing a good meal and beverage with people offering up their own cuisine is a communion of sorts.

I will always admire and respect the art of cooking, wherever I may find it.

I cook because I love to make people happy with my food :yum:

It's sometimes easy for me to forget what happy memories are made from food. I make the easy, no knead bread, and ds asked me a few days ago if I could teach him to make it, asked specifically for it.

I just stood by and instructed him how to do it, didn't help at all. When he took it out of the oven, he just had this angelic look on his face and said, "It smells...so much like home" and gave me a smile.

It's so easy to forget that this really is what memories are made of, the everyday things, and it touched me so much. This is why I cook.

Because I have yet to walk by a restaurant here, smell what's cooking and think yum I need some of that.
If I want to eat what I like I have to make it myself.

I used to cook to make everyone who was going to eat my cooking happy, then everyone moved away and I just cooked make my bank account happy because eating meals out is expensive and most of the restaurant meals I could make better my own damn self.

Now I am a culinary consultant for a food, beverage and pastry ingredient manufacturing company, writing product descriptions and creating and testing recipes using those ingredients, so I do it to make my clients AND my bank account happy! Oh, and my test cooking makes the company's employees pretty happy, too. Most of them haven't had to buy a meal in years!

Last edited:
So many of my reasons have already been listed. Most of what you guys have already written. In particular, I usually enjoy cooking. I often prefer my own cooking. I have control of the ingredients when I cook.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom