"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

As Justin Wilson put it: "Why do I make nectarine pie? 'Cause I like nectarines."
Why do I go fishing? 'Cause I like to eat fish. The reason I cook is 'cause I like to eat. Nuthin' fancy, mind you, it's just that simple.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #22
Head Chef

I cook because it can be approached as both technical and artistic at once. And because it's creative. And because you can never, ever learn it all or finish improving.

(Oh, and because my wife knows two recipes. Taco, meaning unseasoned ground beef in taco shells, and salmon croquettes. The croquettes aren't bad, but you can only take so much. It runs in her family. Her sister makes the same tacos.)

Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I cook because it can be approached as both technical and artistic at once. And because it's creative. And because you can never, ever learn it all or finish improving.

(Oh, and because my wife knows two recipes. Taco, meaning unseasoned ground beef in taco shells, and salmon croquettes. The croquettes aren't bad, but you can only take so much. It runs in her family. Her sister makes the same tacos.)
I learned how to cook in self-defense as a kid, I got tired of cooking/eating the same exact thing every week. Limited means, does not mean limited variety, if you learn to play with spices and veg.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:49 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Actually, it's one of the many reasons you're a "keeper".
Like.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #25
Sous Chef

I never thought why I cook, I only know I love to cook and it's something you do for your family.

And keeping meals different without falling into a rut is a challenge, so that's why I'm here.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:29 AM   #26
Master Chef

Oh, gosh....so many reasons. Mad Cook hit on several for me.

I cook because I love food (good thing I'm a small person and burn calories easily). I think it all started with family - my parents both worked and I usually got home before they did, so as a teen I started with spaghetti sauces, stews, Sunday morning breakfasts, and just started playing around with food. We had a garden and I remember thinking how beautiful and tasty the produce was, even as a little kid.

I remember my mom's dishes as well as my grandma's, and have always strived to be as good a cook as they were, in my eyes. I fall short of that, at least according to my memories. I love making things that they used to make, and sharing them with my daughters so that the dishes and memories live on.

I cook because I don't like pre-packaged foods, but I do have them occasionally. As some have said, it's a creative outlet and I like creating things. I've had some real flops, lol, but there've been some good ones, too.

My cousin Diana and her late husband Paul had a cooking show on cable TV back in the 80's, called "The New Way Gourmet". LOL. They started out with cooking classes in their home, got the TV show, and went on to write several cookbooks. It was fun to watch them - I was glued to every show and was so inspired by their creativity and enthusiasm. Lots of fun.

I'm not a great cook, but I do love creating, even if it's only a fruit or veggie salad, with all those beautiful colors and textures. And here in CA that's what many of my dishes end up being, especially in summer. LOL.

I've really rambled on. This is a fun thread, and I've enjoyed reading everyone's stories!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedPotato View Post
Hey all!

I personally believe that food is a direct channel to someone's mind and culture. and through cooking different foods, I can learn more about myself, test my limits and broaden my horizon.

As a designer, sometimes our results (product) can often be very subjective and lines can get blurry. But the results for cooking is very honest, which I always find comforting.

So yea! What does cooking mean to you guys? and how does your cooking affect the ones around you?
I cook because raw food is usually bland, unappetizing, or just plain dangerous (think chicken ).

I like my own cooking, I've learned to cook the things I like, and I've learned to cook well enough that I can usually figure out new recipes or methods with a little practice. I usually get complements when I cook for others, but I don't usually do anything very complicated.

I'm a fan of Italian style cooking (not only Italian foods), with limited ingredients nicely seasoned. I've gotten pretty good at opening the pantry and inventing something palatable on the fly with just what's on hand.

I like baking my own bread, but I have to limit that to once or twice a month at most because otherwise I'd weigh 400 pounds. I rarely bake any sweets, for the same reason.

So, basically I like to cook because I like to eat.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #28
Executive Chef

To eat what I want and like, requires me to buy and cook the food.

Restaurants cannot come close as Craig said.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #29
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Well, I guess because it has been my profession for 22 years. Though my days in the kitchen are fewer and fewer, my passion is still there and I find cooking at home to be far more enjoyable, now that I'm not in a kitchen everyday for 16 hours.

Cooking/food is a universal thing. Every culture has it's cuisine and techniques. Every meal has the potential to create bonds and lasting memories. I like cooking/food, for those reasons as well.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I cook for many reasons.

I truly enjoy cooking.

I can be as creative as I want while cooking.

I think of it not only as a necessity, but also as a hobby.

It is a never-ending experiment of trying new things .. like a science lab at times.

It is something I can get so involved in that it becomes a therapy of sorts for my mind.

I cook because I like to eat.

I cook because my DH likes to eat and he loves my cooking.

It is the one and only thing I can do that does not scare me if I faulter or fail .. I can always fix it up.

Plus I get to play with some of the coolest "toys" in the world !

Tags
cook