Why do you cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL: Good for your daughter.

I usually give recipes but have one recipe that I can't pass on. The reason is that it is never the same twice and I can't always remember what went into it. I do give an overall view though.

Its like Roy Clark said after Charles Wilbur "Buck" Trent finished a good lick on his 5 string, "You can never do something exactly the same, only similar".;)

Chief, it's like I've said before my wife loves your recipe. Though kids prefer mine.
Salmon fishing sounds like a wonderful idea. And to cook it fresh, mmmm.... Some day I'll hold you to this invitation. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

It's been so fun reading all the reason of why you guys cook and loving it.

None of my parents cook and i have never watched my grandma cook, so it was not like i'm learning to cook beside her knee.. Haha but i grow up watching cooking show, first local tv and then nigella, jamie oliver.. And then lots of hours in front of computer reading cooking blogs.

I cook firstly because I wanted to be able to do magic; because that was what cooking looks like when I watched them.. All the sizzling sounds, and the way ingredients change shape and colours.. It looks glorious. Then i learned that bringing food (emm, free food hahaha) makes you soo much likeable at schools. Then i started join cooking classes and stuff, I realized that cooking is a creative outlet. And being a person with a little patience, the instant gratification cooking gives bring me joy. Eventhough i have different taste with my family, so its rare the household will eat my food. But my friends at school eat them like there's no tomorrow! Hahaha

Now, i also cook to become more healthy. I gotten so fat, and my body feels horrible. I no longer like what i see in the mirror and i believe eating junk and not exercising has a lot to do with that. But i do believe in food, in eating right, and i believe that healthy food consist so much more than sad, bland, no dressing lettuce, and balance is the key. Still on progress tho! :D

Let's talk food!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love your attitude Deandra. Welcome to DC.

You are so right that healthy food consists of lots more than "no dressing lettuce" and other "diet food". Yes, with exercise and getting rid of junky food, I'm sure you will get back to a body that makes you happy.

Hi, Taxlady, thanks! I know, I'm not totally in the bandwagon of today's society trend that skinny is the best- because being "skinny" might not always the best state for our body. We need to strive for body that feels good and energized, not size numbers or weight.

I hope joining DC could keep my cooking passion aflame and able to learn a lot from the community here :D

Let's talk food!

I find that if I cook "real food" not "edible food like substances," and monitor my portion sizes while using a food diary/ calorie counter app on my phone, I keep from gaining weight. I stay within enough calories to maintain my weight but my body's in a weight loss cycle at the moment. Really it's painless for me and it works well for my purposes. It also keeps my blood sugar in control without giving up my favorite foods (carbs to name one.). It's all about moderation and listening to my body for me. Anyway that's another reason I prefer to cook our own food from scratch unless there's something I absolutely cannot duplicate.

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck

What galls me almost as much as someone not giving out a recipe is someone who doesn't follow my recipe and then complains about it being a bad recipe. If you alter my recipe, it's no longer my recipe. It's insulting to me when I'm asked for my recipe, they don't follow it at least the first time. What they do the second time making it is up to them, but for Pete sake, since you asked for it give mine a chance first.

What galls me almost as much as someone not giving out a recipe is someone who doesn't follow my recipe and then complains about it being a bad recipe. If you alter my recipe, it's no longer my recipe. It's insulting to me when I'm asked for my recipe, they don't follow it at least the first time. What they do the second time making it is up to them, but for Pete sake, since you asked for it give mine a chance first.

+1!...

I can't count how many times someone would ask for my mum's recipe for tuna salad and then complain that she must have given it to them wrong. It didn't taste as good when they made it. Then she would find out they had substituted Miracle Whip for mayo. :wacko: (Sometimes there were other changes too.)

I cook because I need to eat. I also cook because it is fun--playing in the kitchen. I grew up with a grandmother and aunt who were very good cooks--cooking is an expression of love and keeps me connected to my roots.

I cook because I need to eat. I also cook because it is fun--playing in the kitchen.

I agree! The possibilities are endless, ingredients are affected by environment and cultures, It is truly something exciting to be explored and there is always new challenges around the corner. :chef:

I could never imaging not cooking. Its inborn. Grew up fairly poor so food came from home until I was a teenager. Started with easy recipes my mother used and had decent success so it just grew from there. My mind is always working on what to eat next. So many foods I want to try. Always searching for a new experience. I have no access to any decent restaurants without a lengthy drive so I try to create recipes at home. I love researching, take drives to the city for the sole intention to shop in the imported/ethnic food stores. Then, plan meals over the next few weeks with ingredients. My dish-wish-list is longer than I probably have days left on this earth. It consumes a fairly decent chunk of my thoughts throughout the day....I am searching for the perfect meal....

I could never imaging not cooking. Its inborn. Grew up fairly poor so food came from home until I was a teenager. Started with easy recipes my mother used and had decent success so it just grew from there. My mind is always working on what to eat next. So many foods I want to try. Always searching for a new experience. I have no access to any decent restaurants without a lengthy drive so I try to create recipes at home. I love researching, take drives to the city for the sole intention to shop in the imported/ethnic food stores. Then, plan meals over the next few weeks with ingredients. My dish-wish-list is longer than I probably have days left on this earth. It consumes a fairly decent chunk of my thoughts throughout the day....I am searching for the perfect meal....

The perfect meal: Whatever I'm hungry for at the time, and prepared perfectly. It might be Kielbasa on the grill with a plate of good potato chips, or it could be a standing rib roast, cooked to a perfect medium rare, with my special stuffed potatoes, with freshly steamed green beans, or better yet, artichoke hearts.

For me, there is no such thing as one perfect meal. My instantaneous desire, and often, my need to try something new dictates what for me is the perfect meal on any given day.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

You Do What? COOK?! You mean REAL FOOD?

Where we live now, folks don't do too much cooking for themselves, they eat out.
They have these beautiful, big, fancy, everything-you-could-ever-want-in-it, gourmet, caterers kitchen that they don't use.
When we're invited to someones home and I see this, my fingers literally itch, I WANT to cook there.
As the conversation at this said cocktail party (they don't eat, just drink and nibble) turns to the question of "what do you do my dear?", and I reply that I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, I'm a true blue homemaker and love it. The response to that is, "yes, but what do you do?"
I cook and bake and can; whatever I feel like to I want to make.
It's like I'm speaking a different language, they simply do not understand.
"You mean that you cook food, real food?"
YES! Real Food!
We don't order out, we rarely go to fast food restaurants, I shop for all of the ingredients myself, I prepare all of our meals, everyday, I clean it all up, I adore kitchen stores, AND YES, I enjoy it.
I won't say that I have a passion for cooking, that to me is an emotion that I save for my husband ;)
The next question is always, "but there's only two of you, why mess up the kitchen?"
WHAT?
Sometimes when I make a recipe that just is too much and I don't feel like freezing it or having it for leftovers the next day, I share it with our neighbors.
Need I say that all of the folks that live around us, like us? :)

Where we live now, folks don't do too much cooking for themselves, they eat out.
They have these beautiful, big, fancy, everything-you-could-ever-want-in-it, gourmet, caterers kitchen that they don't use.
When we're invited to someones home and I see this, my fingers literally itch, I WANT to cook there.
As the conversation at this said cocktail party (they don't eat, just drink and nibble) turns to the question of "what do you do my dear?", and I reply that I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, I'm a true blue homemaker and love it. The response to that is, "yes, but what do you do?"
I cook and bake and can; whatever I feel like to I want to make.
It's like I'm speaking a different language, they simply do not understand.
"You mean that you cook food, real food?"
YES! Real Food!
We don't order out, we rarely go to fast food restaurants, I shop for all of the ingredients myself, I prepare all of our meals, everyday, I clean it all up, I adore kitchen stores, AND YES, I enjoy it.
I won't say that I have a passion for cooking, that to me is an emotion that I save for my husband ;)
The next question is always, "but there's only two of you, why mess up the kitchen?"
WHAT?
Sometimes when I make a recipe that just is too much and I don't feel like freezing it or having it for leftovers the next day, I share it with our neighbors.
Need I say that all of the folks that live around us, like us? :)

LOVE that post Kgirl....let me just say again, you've found the right place here to hang your hat. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom