"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Oh yes, the memories that cooking smells bring back. That is a part of my enthusiasm for Danish recipes. Some of the smells bring me right back to Copenhagen.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #52
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,405
I think, there for I am. I cook, there for I eat. That is my main reason, or so I tell my wife. I grew up in the kitchen watching my mom cook, she was an artist. The things that she could make out of nothing, growing in Soviet Union there were not many choices. Now she is gotten to be old and frail, and she says that I can cook better than she can, I do not believe her. My father always said that only mother can teach a child. I think he was right. And so I cook. I do like it, I do like to put food on the table that little, picky kids will eat. Parents come to me and tell me he/she never ate this or doesn't like that. How did you do it? What is the recipe? That is the biggest compliment to me.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #53
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think, there for I am. I cook, there for I eat. That is my main reason, or so I tell my wife. I grew up in the kitchen watching my mom cook, she was an artist. The things that she could make out of nothing, growing in Soviet Union there were not many choices. Now she is gotten to be old and frail, and she says that I can cook better than she can, I do not believe her. My father always said that only mother can teach a child. I think he was right. And so I cook. I do like it, I do like to put food on the table that little, picky kids will eat. Parents come to me and tell me he/she never ate this or doesn't like that. How did you do it? What is the recipe? That is the biggest compliment to me.
I cook so that I can compete with CharlieD for the best ever pancake recipe.

Just kidding. I cook because I enjoy good food, with herbs and spices that can't be had in restaurants. I enjoy big, bold flavors, and quality food. Plus, it's cheaper that eating out, and I enjoy the process of creating new foods, and flavor pairings. It's an art form, and I'm no good at sculpting, or working with clay. So to satisfy one of my creative sides, I cook.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think, there for I am. I cook, there for I eat. That is my main reason, or so I tell my wife. I grew up in the kitchen watching my mom cook, she was an artist. The things that she could make out of nothing, growing in Soviet Union there were not many choices. Now she is gotten to be old and frail, and she says that I can cook better than she can, I do not believe her. My father always said that only mother can teach a child. I think he was right. And so I cook. I do like it, I do like to put food on the table that little, picky kids will eat. Parents come to me and tell me he/she never ate this or doesn't like that. How did you do it? What is the recipe? That is the biggest compliment to me.
I will never understand folks who fail to share thier recipes with other folks. Don't they know what a compliment they have been given? "Oh I can't, it is a family recipe and I promised I would never give it out." More likely than not, it was taken out of a magazine or other publised article.

I once made some pumpkin cookies. They were a big hit at the party. One of the guests (who worked with my daughter) asked for the recipe. I emailed it to her the next day. The following year she made them for the office. Someone asked her for the recipe. "Oh no, it is a secret family recipe." My daughter heard her. She called me and asked me to email it to her. She ran off copies and told everyone there they could have the recipe. Her co-worker didn't speak to her for a long time. No big loss!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #55
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cali
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Congratulations on the weight loss! That is not an easy feat. Would you mind telling us how much you lost all together? It would be encouraging for others who are trying to lose. It shows that it can be done.
When I was dieting I lost about 50 lbs.

Putting your time in the gym is as important as what you consume. I did have my cheat meals, but overall I was good at what I ate.
__________________
manilak1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #56
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I cook so that I can compete with CharlieD for the best ever pancake recipe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Ah, I'd loose in no time.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #57
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I will never understand folks who fail to share their recipes with other folks. Don't they know what a compliment they have been given? "Oh I can't, it is a family recipe and I promised I would never give it out." More likely than not, it was taken out of a magazine or other published article.
Oh, don't even go there. My blood boils when I hear that. My friend had this secretary working for him. She made the best cookies I ever tasted. When I asked her for recipe she told me it was given to her under condition that she would never share the recipe, and "...Being person of integrity I could not betray the trust... " blah, blah, blah, all while stealing from money from my friend, and in the end ran away with his stolen car. some integrity she had.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #58
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilak1d View Post
When I was dieting I lost about 50 lbs.

Putting your time in the gym is as important as what you consume. I did have my cheat meals, but overall I was good at what I ate.
Wow, good for you.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #59
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Ah, I'd loose in no time.
Too bad we don't live near each other. I bow to you my friend and say right here, right now, your pancakes and mine may be on opposite ends of the spectrum, but are equal in every way.

Come on over to my neck of the woods. The Atlantic Salmon are running right now, and I need a fishing partner.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #60
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I will never understand folks who fail to share thier recipes with other folks. Don't they know what a compliment they have been given? "Oh I can't, it is a family recipe and I promised I would never give it out." More likely than not, it was taken out of a magazine or other publised article.

I once made some pumpkin cookies. They were a big hit at the party. One of the guests (who worked with my daughter) asked for the recipe. I emailed it to her the next day. The following year she made them for the office. Someone asked her for the recipe. "Oh no, it is a secret family recipe." My daughter heard her. She called me and asked me to email it to her. She ran off copies and told everyone there they could have the recipe. Her co-worker didn't speak to her for a long time. No big loss!
Good for your daughter.

I usually give recipes but have one recipe that I can't pass on. The reason is that it is never the same twice and I can't always remember what went into it. I do give an overall view though.
__________________

__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.