"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Oh yes, the memories that cooking smells bring back. That is a part of my enthusiasm for Danish recipes. Some of the smells bring me right back to Copenhagen.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #52
Master Chef

I think, there for I am. I cook, there for I eat. That is my main reason, or so I tell my wife. I grew up in the kitchen watching my mom cook, she was an artist. The things that she could make out of nothing, growing in Soviet Union there were not many choices. Now she is gotten to be old and frail, and she says that I can cook better than she can, I do not believe her. My father always said that only mother can teach a child. I think he was right. And so I cook. I do like it, I do like to put food on the table that little, picky kids will eat. Parents come to me and tell me he/she never ate this or doesn't like that. How did you do it? What is the recipe? That is the biggest compliment to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I think, there for I am. I cook, there for I eat. That is my main reason, or so I tell my wife. I grew up in the kitchen watching my mom cook, she was an artist. The things that she could make out of nothing, growing in Soviet Union there were not many choices. Now she is gotten to be old and frail, and she says that I can cook better than she can, I do not believe her. My father always said that only mother can teach a child. I think he was right. And so I cook. I do like it, I do like to put food on the table that little, picky kids will eat. Parents come to me and tell me he/she never ate this or doesn't like that. How did you do it? What is the recipe? That is the biggest compliment to me.
I cook so that I can compete with CharlieD for the best ever pancake recipe.

Just kidding. I cook because I enjoy good food, with herbs and spices that can't be had in restaurants. I enjoy big, bold flavors, and quality food. Plus, it's cheaper that eating out, and I enjoy the process of creating new foods, and flavor pairings. It's an art form, and I'm no good at sculpting, or working with clay. So to satisfy one of my creative sides, I cook.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I will never understand folks who fail to share thier recipes with other folks. Don't they know what a compliment they have been given? "Oh I can't, it is a family recipe and I promised I would never give it out." More likely than not, it was taken out of a magazine or other publised article.

I once made some pumpkin cookies. They were a big hit at the party. One of the guests (who worked with my daughter) asked for the recipe. I emailed it to her the next day. The following year she made them for the office. Someone asked her for the recipe. "Oh no, it is a secret family recipe." My daughter heard her. She called me and asked me to email it to her. She ran off copies and told everyone there they could have the recipe. Her co-worker didn't speak to her for a long time. No big loss!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Congratulations on the weight loss! That is not an easy feat. Would you mind telling us how much you lost all together? It would be encouraging for others who are trying to lose. It shows that it can be done.
When I was dieting I lost about 50 lbs.

Putting your time in the gym is as important as what you consume. I did have my cheat meals, but overall I was good at what I ate.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I cook so that I can compete with CharlieD for the best ever pancake recipe.

Ah, I'd loose in no time.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
I will never understand folks who fail to share their recipes with other folks. Don't they know what a compliment they have been given? "Oh I can't, it is a family recipe and I promised I would never give it out." More likely than not, it was taken out of a magazine or other published article.
Oh, don't even go there. My blood boils when I hear that. My friend had this secretary working for him. She made the best cookies I ever tasted. When I asked her for recipe she told me it was given to her under condition that she would never share the recipe, and "...Being person of integrity I could not betray the trust... " blah, blah, blah, all while stealing from money from my friend, and in the end ran away with his stolen car. some integrity she had.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilak1d View Post
When I was dieting I lost about 50 lbs.

Putting your time in the gym is as important as what you consume. I did have my cheat meals, but overall I was good at what I ate.
Wow, good for you.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Ah, I'd loose in no time.
Too bad we don't live near each other. I bow to you my friend and say right here, right now, your pancakes and mine may be on opposite ends of the spectrum, but are equal in every way.

Come on over to my neck of the woods. The Atlantic Salmon are running right now, and I need a fishing partner.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
I will never understand folks who fail to share thier recipes with other folks. Don't they know what a compliment they have been given? "Oh I can't, it is a family recipe and I promised I would never give it out." More likely than not, it was taken out of a magazine or other publised article.

I once made some pumpkin cookies. They were a big hit at the party. One of the guests (who worked with my daughter) asked for the recipe. I emailed it to her the next day. The following year she made them for the office. Someone asked her for the recipe. "Oh no, it is a secret family recipe." My daughter heard her. She called me and asked me to email it to her. She ran off copies and told everyone there they could have the recipe. Her co-worker didn't speak to her for a long time. No big loss!
Good for your daughter.

I usually give recipes but have one recipe that I can't pass on. The reason is that it is never the same twice and I can't always remember what went into it. I do give an overall view though.

Tags
cook