"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Good for your daughter.

I usually give recipes but have one recipe that I can't pass on. The reason is that it is never the same twice and I can't always remember what went into it. I do give an overall view though.
Its like Roy Clark said after Charles Wilbur "Buck" Trent finished a good lick on his 5 string, "You can never do something exactly the same, only similar".

Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #62
Master Chef

Chief, it's like I've said before my wife loves your recipe. Though kids prefer mine.
Salmon fishing sounds like a wonderful idea. And to cook it fresh, mmmm.... Some day I'll hold you to this invitation. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Old 08-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #63
Assistant Cook

It's been so fun reading all the reason of why you guys cook and loving it.

None of my parents cook and i have never watched my grandma cook, so it was not like i'm learning to cook beside her knee.. Haha but i grow up watching cooking show, first local tv and then nigella, jamie oliver.. And then lots of hours in front of computer reading cooking blogs.

I cook firstly because I wanted to be able to do magic; because that was what cooking looks like when I watched them.. All the sizzling sounds, and the way ingredients change shape and colours.. It looks glorious. Then i learned that bringing food (emm, free food hahaha) makes you soo much likeable at schools. Then i started join cooking classes and stuff, I realized that cooking is a creative outlet. And being a person with a little patience, the instant gratification cooking gives bring me joy. Eventhough i have different taste with my family, so its rare the household will eat my food. But my friends at school eat them like there's no tomorrow! Hahaha

Now, i also cook to become more healthy. I gotten so fat, and my body feels horrible. I no longer like what i see in the mirror and i believe eating junk and not exercising has a lot to do with that. But i do believe in food, in eating right, and i believe that healthy food consist so much more than sad, bland, no dressing lettuce, and balance is the key. Still on progress tho! :D

Let's talk food!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I love your attitude Deandra. Welcome to DC.

You are so right that healthy food consists of lots more than "no dressing lettuce" and other "diet food". Yes, with exercise and getting rid of junky food, I'm sure you will get back to a body that makes you happy.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #65
Assistant Cook

Hi, Taxlady, thanks! I know, I'm not totally in the bandwagon of today's society trend that skinny is the best- because being "skinny" might not always the best state for our body. We need to strive for body that feels good and energized, not size numbers or weight.

I hope joining DC could keep my cooking passion aflame and able to learn a lot from the community here :D

Let's talk food!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #66
Senior Cook

I find that if I cook "real food" not "edible food like substances," and monitor my portion sizes while using a food diary/ calorie counter app on my phone, I keep from gaining weight. I stay within enough calories to maintain my weight but my body's in a weight loss cycle at the moment. Really it's painless for me and it works well for my purposes. It also keeps my blood sugar in control without giving up my favorite foods (carbs to name one.). It's all about moderation and listening to my body for me. Anyway that's another reason I prefer to cook our own food from scratch unless there's something I absolutely cannot duplicate.

Cooking is like painting or writing a song. Just as there are only so many notes or colors, there are only so many flavors - it's how you combine them that sets you apart.

Wolfgang Puck
Old 08-03-2014, 03:29 PM   #67
Master Chef

What galls me almost as much as someone not giving out a recipe is someone who doesn't follow my recipe and then complains about it being a bad recipe. If you alter my recipe, it's no longer my recipe. It's insulting to me when I'm asked for my recipe, they don't follow it at least the first time. What they do the second time making it is up to them, but for Pete sake, since you asked for it give mine a chance first.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What galls me almost as much as someone not giving out a recipe is someone who doesn't follow my recipe and then complains about it being a bad recipe. If you alter my recipe, it's no longer my recipe. It's insulting to me when I'm asked for my recipe, they don't follow it at least the first time. What they do the second time making it is up to them, but for Pete sake, since you asked for it give mine a chance first.
+1!...
Old 08-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I can't count how many times someone would ask for my mum's recipe for tuna salad and then complain that she must have given it to them wrong. It didn't taste as good when they made it. Then she would find out they had substituted Miracle Whip for mayo. (Sometimes there were other changes too.)
Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

I cook because I need to eat. I also cook because it is fun--playing in the kitchen. I grew up with a grandmother and aunt who were very good cooks--cooking is an expression of love and keeps me connected to my roots.

Tags
cook