"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 AM   #71
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I cook because I need to eat. I also cook because it is fun--playing in the kitchen.
I agree! The possibilities are endless, ingredients are affected by environment and cultures, It is truly something exciting to be explored and there is always new challenges around the corner.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:21 AM   #72
Executive Chef

I could never imaging not cooking. Its inborn. Grew up fairly poor so food came from home until I was a teenager. Started with easy recipes my mother used and had decent success so it just grew from there. My mind is always working on what to eat next. So many foods I want to try. Always searching for a new experience. I have no access to any decent restaurants without a lengthy drive so I try to create recipes at home. I love researching, take drives to the city for the sole intention to shop in the imported/ethnic food stores. Then, plan meals over the next few weeks with ingredients. My dish-wish-list is longer than I probably have days left on this earth. It consumes a fairly decent chunk of my thoughts throughout the day....I am searching for the perfect meal....

Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #73
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I could never imaging not cooking. Its inborn. Grew up fairly poor so food came from home until I was a teenager. Started with easy recipes my mother used and had decent success so it just grew from there. My mind is always working on what to eat next. So many foods I want to try. Always searching for a new experience. I have no access to any decent restaurants without a lengthy drive so I try to create recipes at home. I love researching, take drives to the city for the sole intention to shop in the imported/ethnic food stores. Then, plan meals over the next few weeks with ingredients. My dish-wish-list is longer than I probably have days left on this earth. It consumes a fairly decent chunk of my thoughts throughout the day....I am searching for the perfect meal....
The perfect meal: Whatever I'm hungry for at the time, and prepared perfectly. It might be Kielbasa on the grill with a plate of good potato chips, or it could be a standing rib roast, cooked to a perfect medium rare, with my special stuffed potatoes, with freshly steamed green beans, or better yet, artichoke hearts.

For me, there is no such thing as one perfect meal. My instantaneous desire, and often, my need to try something new dictates what for me is the perfect meal on any given day.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #74
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
You Do What? COOK?! You mean REAL FOOD?

Where we live now, folks don't do too much cooking for themselves, they eat out.
They have these beautiful, big, fancy, everything-you-could-ever-want-in-it, gourmet, caterers kitchen that they don't use.
When we're invited to someones home and I see this, my fingers literally itch, I WANT to cook there.
As the conversation at this said cocktail party (they don't eat, just drink and nibble) turns to the question of "what do you do my dear?", and I reply that I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, I'm a true blue homemaker and love it. The response to that is, "yes, but what do you do?"
I cook and bake and can; whatever I feel like to I want to make.
It's like I'm speaking a different language, they simply do not understand.
"You mean that you cook food, real food?"
YES! Real Food!
We don't order out, we rarely go to fast food restaurants, I shop for all of the ingredients myself, I prepare all of our meals, everyday, I clean it all up, I adore kitchen stores, AND YES, I enjoy it.
I won't say that I have a passion for cooking, that to me is an emotion that I save for my husband
The next question is always, "but there's only two of you, why mess up the kitchen?"
WHAT?
Sometimes when I make a recipe that just is too much and I don't feel like freezing it or having it for leftovers the next day, I share it with our neighbors.
Need I say that all of the folks that live around us, like us?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Where we live now, folks don't do too much cooking for themselves, they eat out.
They have these beautiful, big, fancy, everything-you-could-ever-want-in-it, gourmet, caterers kitchen that they don't use.
When we're invited to someones home and I see this, my fingers literally itch, I WANT to cook there.
As the conversation at this said cocktail party (they don't eat, just drink and nibble) turns to the question of "what do you do my dear?", and I reply that I'm doing what I've always wanted to do, I'm a true blue homemaker and love it. The response to that is, "yes, but what do you do?"
I cook and bake and can; whatever I feel like to I want to make.
It's like I'm speaking a different language, they simply do not understand.
"You mean that you cook food, real food?"
YES! Real Food!
We don't order out, we rarely go to fast food restaurants, I shop for all of the ingredients myself, I prepare all of our meals, everyday, I clean it all up, I adore kitchen stores, AND YES, I enjoy it.
I won't say that I have a passion for cooking, that to me is an emotion that I save for my husband
The next question is always, "but there's only two of you, why mess up the kitchen?"
WHAT?
Sometimes when I make a recipe that just is too much and I don't feel like freezing it or having it for leftovers the next day, I share it with our neighbors.
Need I say that all of the folks that live around us, like us?
LOVE that post Kgirl....let me just say again, you've found the right place here to hang your hat.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #76
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

For me, there is no such thing as one perfect meal. My instantaneous desire, and often, my need to try something new dictates what for me is the perfect meal on any given day.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That's my point. It will never be achieved. But, I will try again tomorrow....
Old 08-06-2014, 05:22 PM   #77
Head Chef

I cook because I like to eat and I've been eating my own cooking so long I've acquired a taste for it.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #78
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I cook because I like to eat and I've been eating my own cooking so long I've acquired a taste for it.
Lucky for you. Otherwise, dinner would be hell every day!
Old 08-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #79
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would cook, but I find it encourages my food addiction...
Old 08-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #80
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would cook, but I find it encourages my food addiction...

So you get your "fix" from a dealer.

Tags
cook