"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Why do you cook?
I feel like a chef: I can eat high quality food that's exactly the way I want it. 10 40.00%
I feel like a chef: I enjoy the process as much as the results. ( 13 52.00%
It's economical (i.e., cheaper than paying for someone else's food). 10 40.00%
Dietary reasons: I can make food I like within my restrictions. 6 24.00%
My family needs to eat and my private chef is on strike. 5 20.00%
Other (please specify). 6 24.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Why Do You Cook?

First off, I did try to search to see if this question was asked previously, and I couldn't find it, so apologies if I'm retreading an old topic.

This is simply a question of what motivates you to cook. We all have our reasons, and sometimes those reasons change. I'm interested to hear details, but please do vote. And, while the poll does allow multiple choice, please only pick the biggest reasons for cooking (i.e., if you're primarily motivated because you love the process, but you also cook for your family, just pick that you love the process).

Thanks.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I voted in several categories because they apply. I enjoy cooking and we like the results. It's less expensive than buying prepared food or going out to dinner. I enjoy the process of understanding why stuff happens with food and how to manage it so I get the best results.

Oh, and my kids come to visit more often because I make great holiday meals.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Late Night Gourmet View Post
First off, I did try to search to see if this question was asked previously, and I couldn't find it, so apologies if I'm retreading an old topic.

This is simply a question of what motivates you to cook. We all have our reasons, and sometimes those reasons change. I'm interested to hear details, but please do vote. And, while the poll does allow multiple choice, please only pick the biggest reasons for cooking (i.e., if you're primarily motivated because you love the process, but you also cook for your family, just pick that you love the process).

Thanks.
So where's the poll?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

The poll shows up on my PC but not on my mobile device.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Hmmm, it's not showing on my PC.

Edit...now it's there.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I should probably explain why I'm separating the love of cooking from cooking for your family, since it makes sense that you'd also love to cook for your family. I knew a woman who ***HATED*** cooking, but she didn't want her kids to have frozen dinners or fast food. So, as any good mother would do, she did what was best for her kids and powered through figuring out how to cook. She's gotten better, but she still hates it (she - and her kids - are happiest when she orders pizza for dinner).

This would be a classic example of someone who feels obligated to cook for her family, but doesn't have any other motive. I don't suspect there will be many people like her on this forum!
Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I cook because I want to use fresh ingredients and I want to make sure that I cook healthily, with fresh ingredients where possible and without to many preservatives. I go to a lot of trouble to provide my OH with a healthy diet, and I also want to do the same. I've always done that. I'm now nearly 70 and my skin is still good and I'm still in good health, and I fervently believe that a healthy diet has an important role to play. The only preservative I ever use is wine, good quality, that will pickle me from time to time. I spend hours in my kitchen, which, to anyone who comes to my house can see what a working kitchen it is. I also find cooking fresh is fun and relaxing, so it's also therapy, and that counts a lot as well.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

We like to cook, try new cuisines, don't trust restaurant seafood for the most part and our home cooked food is better than most restaurants.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cooking is relaxing for me. Something I want to do and does not make unreasonable demands from me or my time. Besides, I love to eat.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

As far as getting enjoyment out of cooking I only get that when cooking outdoors.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook