"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
Head Chef

Why Does My Bread Get Too Brown?

I've had this happen with both regular bread and recently, the pound cake. I baked them both in a metal bread loaf pan. Oven is pre-heated.

What happens is the outside gets very dark and almost burns before the inside gets done. The bread pan is definitely not overfilled.

I have a small oven and I know small ovens tend to run hot, so I've tried turning down the temp about 25 or so, which hasn't worked. I'm not sure if I should turn it down more or not.

I'm afraid if I keep turning down the temp, the bread is going to end up in the oven longer, giving it a longer time to get done, but also a longer time to turn brown on the outside. Right now the temps call for my bread to be baked at 350 for xxx minutes (I wait until it's done), and I've been turning it down to 325.

I've also tried putting the bread in for about 15 minutes at the normal temp and then turning down the oven after that for the rest of the bake. That doesn't seem to solve the problem either.

I was using butter to grease the bread pan, but I kept having half the loaf tenaciously stick its heels in and refuse to come out. Now I use an olive oil cooking spray and that does the job, although the bread still gets too dark on the crust. I've also tried both flour and cornmeal. The flour ended up burning and I really dislike eating anything with cornmeal, as it tends to get all over the place.

Any suggestions on what I should do about this?

Thank you!

rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Is the metal pan that you're using dark or non-stick? That can contribute to overly browning the exterior of baked goods. Look for "silver" metal rather than the darker colored pans. Also, glass pans can also brown more than plain silver metal pans.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 AM   #3
Cook

Some other suggestions: * Use an oven thermometer to verify that the temperature is correct. * Tent the loaf with aluminum foil when it starts to brown.
Petek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
Head Chef

I'm using a pan that's both dark and non-stick.

Pete, the top of the loaf is fine. It's the sides and bottom that get so dark. I've never had a problem with the top of a loaf getting too brown. It does sound as though I should be getting a lighter colored pan though.

I have seen bread pans in enamel. I wonder how they are at baking bread?
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

You could try turning the oven temp down another 25F. Since the bread over darkens where it comes in contact with the pan, that seems like a reasonable solution.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to bake my bread in loaf pans till half cooked and firm enough to remove from pan. Then I would turn it out and place it on it's side and finish the baking right on the rack or pizza stone.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:13 AM   #7
Sous Chef

single batch of white bread dough
divided into two loaves
baked simultaneously/together in same oven

one dark pan, one light pan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dark_light pan.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	25973  
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I like my Pampered Chef stoneware loaf pan best for when I make this shape.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

The following is a recipe that a friend of mine gave me. I have been using it now for a few years. Releases food instantly. I use a pastry brush to liberally apply.

Release Recipe
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
cup of vegetable oil
cup of all purpose flour.

I store mine in a wide mouth take-out plastic container, and it sits on the shelf. It doesn't go bad. This recipe should definitely solve your sticking problems. It can be used on any recipe that calls for greasing and/or flouring a baking pan.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I wrote that recipe down on a post-it note and pasted it to the inside of my pantry door, Addie! It's a great tip. The note is at home and I'm not, so I can't check who posted it - I think I wrote that, too. I think it was Katie H that gave us that lovely trick. I suppose someone with better search skills than mine (which are one step above none-at-all) will be able to find her post - or whoever posted it - in less time than it will take us to drive home.

Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table. ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bread