Why Does My Bread Get Too Brown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I've had this happen with both regular bread and recently, the pound cake. I baked them both in a metal bread loaf pan. Oven is pre-heated.

What happens is the outside gets very dark and almost burns before the inside gets done. The bread pan is definitely not overfilled.

I have a small oven and I know small ovens tend to run hot, so I've tried turning down the temp about 25° or so, which hasn't worked. I'm not sure if I should turn it down more or not.

I'm afraid if I keep turning down the temp, the bread is going to end up in the oven longer, giving it a longer time to get done, but also a longer time to turn brown on the outside. Right now the temps call for my bread to be baked at 350° for xxx minutes (I wait until it's done), and I've been turning it down to 325°.

I've also tried putting the bread in for about 15 minutes at the normal temp and then turning down the oven after that for the rest of the bake. That doesn't seem to solve the problem either.

I was using butter to grease the bread pan, but I kept having half the loaf tenaciously stick its heels in and refuse to come out. Now I use an olive oil cooking spray and that does the job, although the bread still gets too dark on the crust. I've also tried both flour and cornmeal. The flour ended up burning and I really dislike eating anything with cornmeal, as it tends to get all over the place.

Any suggestions on what I should do about this?

Thank you!

Some other suggestions: * Use an oven thermometer to verify that the temperature is correct. * Tent the loaf with aluminum foil when it starts to brown.

I'm using a pan that's both dark and non-stick.

Pete, the top of the loaf is fine. It's the sides and bottom that get so dark. I've never had a problem with the top of a loaf getting too brown. It does sound as though I should be getting a lighter colored pan though.

I have seen bread pans in enamel. I wonder how they are at baking bread?

You could try turning the oven temp down another 25ºF. Since the bread over darkens where it comes in contact with the pan, that seems like a reasonable solution.

I used to bake my bread in loaf pans till half cooked and firm enough to remove from pan. Then I would turn it out and place it on it's side and finish the baking right on the rack or pizza stone.

single batch of white bread dough
divided into two loaves
baked simultaneously/together in same oven

one dark pan, one light pan

Attachments

• dark_light pan.jpg
    dark_light pan.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 245
The following is a recipe that a friend of mine gave me. I have been using it now for a few years. Releases food instantly. I use a pastry brush to liberally apply.

Release Recipe
1¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
¼ cup of vegetable oil
¼ cup of all purpose flour.

I store mine in a wide mouth take-out plastic container, and it sits on the shelf. It doesn't go bad. This recipe should definitely solve your sticking problems. It can be used on any recipe that calls for greasing and/or flouring a baking pan.

I wrote that recipe down on a post-it note and pasted it to the inside of my pantry door, Addie! It's a great tip. The note is at home and I'm not, so I can't check who posted it - I think I wrote that, too. I think it was Katie H that gave us that lovely trick. I suppose someone with better search skills than mine (which are one step above none-at-all) will be able to find her post - or whoever posted it - in less time than it will take us to drive home. :LOL:

The following is a recipe that a friend of mine gave me. I have been using it now for a few years. Releases food instantly. I use a pastry brush to liberally apply.

Release Recipe
1¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
¼ cup of vegetable oil
¼ cup of all purpose flour...

I wrote that recipe down on a post-it note and pasted it to the inside of my pantry door, Addie! It's a great tip...

I just use butter and flour. I find it works better than spray oil and it's fairly simple.

I just use butter and flour. I find it works better than spray oil and it's fairly simple.

I find that the spray ends up as a puddle in the corners of the pan. But with the cake release, it is right there always ready to use. It has never failed me. And I find it does not affect the taste of the product in any manner.

I actually have two different ones I use. Since I am requested to make the Hershey's cake the most often, I put a couple of spoonful's of cocoa in with the flour for the second jar. I use that one for the "Death" cake as my family calls it. You will be slaughtered if you try to take even just a bite of what is on one's plate. Or for any other chocolate recipe that calls for a grease and flour step.

Last edited:
I've been using an olive oil spray and I've had better luck with that than with just buttering the pan. But I've never tried the butter and flour mix before, so I might do that next time.

Thank you, everyone! I've gotten some really helpful tips here!

I wrote that recipe down on a post-it note and pasted it to the inside of my pantry door, Addie! It's a great tip. The note is at home and I'm not, so I can't check who posted it - I think I wrote that, too. I think it was Katie H that gave us that lovely trick. I suppose someone with better search skills than mine (which are one step above none-at-all) will be able to find her post - or whoever posted it - in less time than it will take us to drive home. :LOL:

Like you I can't remember also who gave it to us. But I swear by it. I have the inside of my cabinet doors taped with cooking notes so I don't have to look it up or go into my hard copy file. I am running out of room on the inside of my cabinet doors.

Yoo Hoo Katie, are you the one who originally gave us this recipe?

Back
Top Bottom