"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I never used to use wine in cooking but recently I added some to chicken cacciatore and WOW! It made such a big difference!
:-)

I know!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Wine Guy

You are talking about a half cup (4 ounces) of wine. Much of the alcohol will cook off.

And yes, you can substitute white wine in your recipe, if that's your preference. I would open a wine that you like, use the half cup in the recipe, and drink the rest with the meal or over the next few days.

Whatever you do, don't use anything labeled "cooking wine". If it isn't something you'd drink alone, it won't taste good in your food, either.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Whatever you do, don't use anything labeled "cooking wine". If it isn't something you'd drink alone, it won't taste good in your food, either.

I've always heard that and it makes me wonder why they even make cooking wine, and who buys it?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I've always heard that and it makes me wonder why they even make cooking wine, and who buys it?
People who aren't DC members...
Old 12-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Cooking wine is made for people who aren't really wine drinkers. It's more of a condiment and has salt added as a preservative, so you can stick it in the fridge for six months and not have it go bad. Although "go bad" is relative, as the flavor is atrocious to begin with. Better to bite the bullet and buy something worth using.

The advice above to buy airline size bottles is excellent, particularly if you don't drink a lot of wine. In our house, we have wine with almost every meal so it rarely goes to waste.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
People like my mother who didn't know any better. When I was a kid, her idea of red wine was Mogan David. Later, all she ever drank for wine was from the box of rose in her fridge.

I can't say that I know much about wine, but I know that if I could afford it, I would probably drink really good wines, because they simply taste better most of the time. We get a couple of inexpensive reds here on the island - a French table wine, Lamothe Parrot, and a Chilean Cabernet, Frontera. Both are quite drinkable and good for cooking too.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

I also heard that "cooking wine" was invented during prohibition in this country because nobody could drink it. It's truly nasty stuff.

I drink only white wine also, but always have a bottle of decent red on hand for cooking. I always use it in my spaghetti sauce, chili verde, beef stew, and so many things.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

Cooking with red wine makes the world go round.

Although we do "know about " wine, we usually have a big bottle of red from TJ's @$8 (for the big size) going. Decent enough for both cooking and drinking. I don't like to cook with wines that go for more than $20 for a regular size bottle.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love to cook with red wine, also with sherry and port.

Unfortunately, we like to drink red wine, so we're usually left with just sherry and port....
Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
Cook

I always enjoy a recipe that calls for a little wine. The wine does add to the taste and then there is this open bottle just needing some attention. Was making Luca's lasagna for the in-laws to be served as a late lunch, by serving time it was obvious that I had followed the advice to finish the bottle while the lasagna was in the oven. May be time for some more lasagna!!

Tags
recipe, wine