Why is wine being used in this recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't you live with your wife, or is your house so big you have to call her to talk to her.

Nevermind, that's none of my business!!

I guess I should have said "I will call her and ask her first if she is not home". :ROFLMAO:
You see there would be no question regarding the wine if she was home. It is when she is gone, that I must contemplate the result of my actions.
When she is here, there is no contemplating. I can just look at her and politely ask.

Last edited:
I thought salt in the cooking wine came from an era of servants, so the cook wouldn't drink the cooking wine or cooking sherry.

OTH, salt is a preservative and apparently the wine doesn't go off.
I would have thought that there would have to be a lot of salt in the wine to act as a preservative.

When my Great Grandmother was housekeeper in a country house (Think Mrs Hughes in "Donwton", except Great Grannie was married to the valet) and later kept hotels ,she would only employ cooks who were Methodists. Why? Because Methodists don't drink alcohol :LOL:

Last edited:
I would have thought that there would have to be a lot of salt in the wine to act as a preservative.

When my Great Grandmother was housekeeper in a country house (Think Mrs Hughes in "Donwton", except Great Grannie was married to the valet) and later kept hotels ,she would only employ cooks who were Methodists. Why? Because Methodists don't drink alcohol :LOL:

Want to lay a bet on that? My wife is a Methodist, born and raised, and I assure you that she is not a teetotaler, nor is any of her family. ;)

Want to lay a bet on that? My wife is a Methodist, born and raised, and I assure you that she is not a teetotaler, nor is any of her family. ;)

There are certain sects of Methodists that don't drink.

My grandparents didn't smoke, drink, swear, dance, go to movies or use face cards. Yikes!

My grandparents didn't smoke, drink, swear, dance, go to movies or use face cards. Yikes!

DH and I both grew up Methodist, and none of that applied to our families either, though I do recall that there were sects that abstained from everything. Not ours.

Face cards? Some of those I get, barely, even though they are beyond simply archaic, but not using face cards is a bit baffling to me. I've always struggled to understand extreme behavior anyway, so I guess this is just one more on my list of "Huh?"

Face cards? Some of those I get, barely, even though they are beyond simply archaic, but not using face cards is a bit baffling to me. I've always struggled to understand extreme behavior anyway, so I guess this is just one more on my list of "Huh?"

I didn't get it either.

Or movies. Or dancing in 1920.

Last edited:
Perhaps the wine makes the cook less nervous about trying a new recipe, yes?

Oh wait. It's to be used IN the recipe. Oops!

Mamma pours brandy over her hamburgers while frying them, and then she sets them on fire in the pan. Her hamburgers are very good!

Or maybe they are bad but you've had so much brandy you didn't notice? Ha!

With love,
~Cat

Well yes. I have friends like that.

GG was active in the late 19th, early 20th century and teetotal Methodism, especially the Primitive branch, and the Temperance movement tended to be stricter then. It mainly worked for her although there may have been the odd lapse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom