Why is wine being used in this recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redmike

Senior Cook
I don't want to open a bottle of red wine just for this recipe, and if I do open one then I'll drink it all ;-)

Maybe not a bad idea after all? :)

Would a stock or a mixture of red wine vinegar, water and sugar best?

Or something else?

Thanks

Michael

Ingredients Nutrition
2 tsp olive oil
1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
750g beef mince
2 x 400g cans Italian diced tomatoes
125ml (1/2 cup) dry red wine
55g (1/4 cup) tomato paste
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil, extra, to grease
4 fresh lasagne sheets
55g (1/2 cup) coarsely grated mozzarella
Mixed salad leaves, to serve

cheese sauce
1L (4 cups) milk
1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
8 fresh parsley stalks
8 whole black peppercorns
4 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
60g butter
50g (1/3 cup) plain flour
70g (1 cup) finely grated Parmesan
Pinch ground nutmeg
Salt & ground white pepper

Alcohol releases flavor components that water or oil can't. Particularly with tomatoes. Using it will give you a depth if flavor that you cannot achieve with a nonalcoholic sub.

Wine or other spirits (eg bourbon, dark beer) are used when its flavor will also compliment the dish.

Vodka sauce uses vodka because it is a neutral flavor.

Do you have access to four-packs of 187ml bottles of wine? I keep one red and one white on hand just to use for cooking.

Some people freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays, then transfer to zipper lock bags, so they're available to throw into a sauce.

I wouldn't try to replace red wine with red wine vinegar; I'd just leave it out. It won't have the same depth of flavor, but it will still be good.

Alcohol releases flavor components that water or oil can't. Particularly with tomatoes. Using it will give you a depth if flavor that you cannot achieve with a nonalcoholic sub.

Wine or other spirits (eg bourbon, dark beer) are used when its flavor will also compliment the dish.

Vodka sauce uses vodka because it is a neutral flavor.

Thanks for that explanation which is something that I have't read before.

Joking aside, I do drink wine, but prefer white because red makes me sleepy very fast.

I've read various things about whether or not the alcohol actually gets burned of or not.

How Much Alcohol Is Burned Off When We Cook? | Misconceptions

What do you think?

Do you have access to four-packs of 187ml bottles of wine? I keep one red and one white on hand just to use for cooking.

Some people freeze leftover wine in ice cube trays, then transfer to zipper lock bags, so they're available to throw into a sauce.

I wouldn't try to replace red wine with red wine vinegar; I'd just leave it out. It won't have the same depth of flavor, but it will still be good.

Actually I bought a single 250 ml pack at the supermarket and will keep an eye open for the smaller packs.

Even a reasonable (but not very good or great) wine here in Portugal costs around the same price as good vinegar ;-)

And many people clean with red and white wine vinegar!

I freeze milk and meat stock in ice cube trays, so why not wine for cooking?!

Thanks!

And many people clean with red and white wine vinegar!

Really? I would think that would leave things sticky. I use distilled white vinegar for cleaning.

Re: alcohol evaporation in cooking, how much remains depends on how much was used, what kind of alcohol was used, when it was added, and how long the item was cooked after adding the alcohol. Here's a chart: http://homecooking.about.com/library/archive/blalcohol12.htm

I don't want to open a bottle of red wine just for this recipe, and if I do open one then I'll drink it all ;-)

Maybe not a bad idea after all? :)

Would a stock or a mixture of red wine vinegar, water and sugar best?

Or something else?

Thanks

Michael

It's all about the flavor. I use wine in some recipes which don't call for it and it makes them better. I have the leftovers from a pot of beef stew that I made on Tuesday, and the 1/2 bottle of red wine gives it great flavor and a deep rich color. The flavors are so much richer than when I used to make it without the wine. It's not a wine flavor so much as it just enhances all of the other flavors. I wouldn't think of going without it any more. If I have a choice between two good sounding recipes, but one uses wine and the second one doesn't, I take the first one every time.

I'm also a big fan of drinking a glass of red wine while I cook, or if that's too early in the day, I have it with the meal. With my wife and me, a bottle of red doesn't last that long once it's opened. I always cook with wine that I like to drink. :chef:

Last edited:
Really? I would think that would leave things sticky. I use distilled white vinegar for cleaning.

Re: alcohol evaporation in cooking, how much remains depends on how much was used, what kind of alcohol was used, when it was added, and how long the item was cooked after adding the alcohol. Here's a chart: Alcohol Burn-off Chart

Thanks for the chart.

I bought a big bottle of vinegar, 1.5 L for .50 euros called "Lava Tudo" and it says to dilute it 60 ml to 5 liters of water.

It seems fine and I generally only use it for cutting boards after poultry.

I haven't tried cleaning with wine vinegar because it just seemed like sacrilege to me :)

It's all about the flavor. I use wine in some recipes which don't call for it and it makes them better. I have the leftovers from a pot of beef stew that I made on Tuesday, and the 1/2 bottle of red wine gives it great flavor and a deep rich color. The flavors are so much richer than when I used to make it without the wine. It's not a wine flavor so much as it just enhances all of the other flavors. I wouldn't think of going without it any more. If I have a choice between two good sounding recipes, but one uses wine and the second one doesn't, I take the first one every time.

I'm also a big fan of drinking a glass of red wine while I cook, or if that's too early in the day, I have it with the meal. With my wife and me, a bottle of red doesn't last that long once it's opened. I always cook with wine that I like to drink. :chef:

Thanks for the tips and Saúde!

Michael

I never used to use wine in cooking but recently I added some to chicken cacciatore and WOW! It made such a big difference!

You are talking about a half cup (4 ounces) of wine. Much of the alcohol will cook off.

And yes, you can substitute white wine in your recipe, if that's your preference. I would open a wine that you like, use the half cup in the recipe, and drink the rest with the meal or over the next few days.

Whatever you do, don't use anything labeled "cooking wine". If it isn't something you'd drink alone, it won't taste good in your food, either.

I've always heard that and it makes me wonder why they even make cooking wine, and who buys it?

Cooking wine is made for people who aren't really wine drinkers. It's more of a condiment and has salt added as a preservative, so you can stick it in the fridge for six months and not have it go bad. Although "go bad" is relative, as the flavor is atrocious to begin with. Better to bite the bullet and buy something worth using.

The advice above to buy airline size bottles is excellent, particularly if you don't drink a lot of wine. In our house, we have wine with almost every meal so it rarely goes to waste.

I've always heard that and it makes me wonder why they even make cooking wine, and who buys it?

People like my mother who didn't know any better. When I was a kid, her idea of red wine was Mogan David. Later, all she ever drank for wine was from the box of rose in her fridge.

I can't say that I know much about wine, but I know that if I could afford it, I would probably drink really good wines, because they simply taste better most of the time. We get a couple of inexpensive reds here on the island - a French table wine, Lamothe Parrot, and a Chilean Cabernet, Frontera. Both are quite drinkable and good for cooking too.

I also heard that "cooking wine" was invented during prohibition in this country because nobody could drink it. It's truly nasty stuff.

I drink only white wine also, but always have a bottle of decent red on hand for cooking. I always use it in my spaghetti sauce, chili verde, beef stew, and so many things.

Cooking with red wine makes the world go round.

Although we do "know about " wine, we usually have a big bottle of red from TJ's @$8 (for the big size) going. Decent enough for both cooking and drinking. I don't like to cook with wines that go for more than $20 for a regular size bottle.

Love to cook with red wine, also with sherry and port.

Unfortunately, we like to drink red wine, so we're usually left with just sherry and port....

I always enjoy a recipe that calls for a little wine. The wine does add to the taste and then there is this open bottle just needing some attention. Was making Luca's lasagna for the in-laws to be served as a late lunch, by serving time it was obvious that I had followed the advice to finish the bottle while the lasagna was in the oven. May be time for some more lasagna!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom