"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Why the tortilla I made tastes so hard?

Hi. I've made some Tortilla by myself. But I don't know why it tastes not crisp but hard to chew. I've added salt, warm water, saleratus powder and corn oil in the dough(wheat powder) and stir together, after stirring for about half an hour, I started to let it rest for 20 minutes.

Then I pressed the dough small ball into a round piece then I heat the grill for a while. Then I put the round piece onto the skillet and heat for 30 seconds then it is done. But it doesn't taste good. I don't know what's wrong. Do you guys have any idea? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 AM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You stirred it for half an hour? That seems like an awfully long time to me.

Barbara

Old 01-23-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
You stirred it for half an hour? That seems like an awfully long time to me.

Barbara
Yes, because if didn't stir it for such a long time, the small dough ball will be crumbly and cannot be pressed into a big round piece. But what kind of ingredientes you use? The same?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Truthfully I have only made tortillas once, and I used a flour tortilla mix. From the very little I know of bread making, I think you mixed it too long. I'm definitely not an expert though, and many here are, so I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question soon.

Barbara
Old 01-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I agree with the others, you mixed it too long. You full developed the glutton, making it tough.

My daughter-in-law, a Mexican national, hand makes fresh tortillas every morning (flour, water, oil, salt and a pinch of baking powder) hand mixes (no spoon or any utensils - just her hand - in a way that reminds me of making biscuits), forms them into a small ball about the size of a golf ball, and then pats and rolls it out into a tortilla just before dry frying. The entire process for a dozen tortillas takes less than 20 minutes, and that includes dry frying for about 1 minute per side in an iron skillet.

Just by watching her, I would say the most important part is getting the texture right while mixing. She adjusted the final dough by drizzling in a tiny amount of additional oil until she was satisfied and had a very nice soft and pliable dough.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I found this recipe that includes tips. I would definately use lard, and cut it in with a fork or a pastry cutter. I would not use milk. I would use the luke-warm water. I don't know wheat poweder does to the ingredients.

Flour Tortilla Recipe

Here is wheat tortilla recipe, too

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I agree with the others, you mixed it too long. You full developed the glutton, making it tough.

My daughter-in-law, a Mexican national, hand makes fresh tortillas every morning (flour, water, oil, salt and a pinch of baking powder) hand mixes (no spoon or any utensils - just her hand - in a way that reminds me of making biscuits), forms them into a small ball about the size of a golf ball, and then pats and rolls it out into a tortilla just before dry frying. The entire process for a dozen tortillas takes less than 20 minutes, and that includes dry frying for about 1 minute per side in an iron skillet.

Just by watching her, I would say the most important part is getting the texture right while mixing. She adjusted the final dough by drizzling in a tiny amount of additional oil until she was satisfied and had a very nice soft and pliable dough.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for such detailed description. I really appreciate for that.

By the way, before your daughter-in-law dry fry the tortilla, she will spread some oil on the iron skillet? And is the skillet flat-bottomed?
Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Executive Chef

The skillet is flat bottomed, but uses no frying oil. She dry-fries them because she wants them lightly browned but soft enough to roll with sausage, salsa and scambled egg inside.

Crispy tortillas that have been fried in oil are made into chips, either with salt, or with cinnamon-sugar.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I found this recipe that includes tips. I would definately use lard, and cut it in with a fork or a pastry cutter. I would not use milk. I would use the luke-warm water. I don't know wheat poweder does to the ingredients.

Flour Tortilla Recipe

Here is wheat tortilla recipe, too

Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas.

My Mexican cook book calls for
1 + 3/4 Cup Masa Harina
I Cup plus 2 Tablespoons hot tap water

thoroughly mix and turn out to kneed. The finished dough should be soft and pliable, but smooth. Cover with plastic and let rest 30 mintues.

Uncover. Any adjustment to the dough is made now. IF it is sticky kneed in a little masa harina. It it is too dry, kneed in a little hot water. Easy does it. When you are satisfied, form into balls. Roll out the first tortilla. Put it in the skillet and start the second, etc.. Stack it on waxed paper.

Masa Harina never goes to waste as it is also used for Tamales. All the Mexican cooks I know use this product. .
Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Linicx, thanks for your help.

Usually what kind of flour you will use, corn powder or wheat powder?The powder we can buy from the stores is unbleached powder or bleached powder?