"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

We don't have abodo in England. I will have to check other stores for them!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

Find a source for hotter peppers.

Chipotles are dried smoked jalapeņos and I'm not a big fan of a lot of the smoke flavor in my chili but you might,

Old 04-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I find that hot peppers can vary a lot in heat. The same kind, from the same store gives me different results. I am learning to taste along the way.

I make a roasted root vegi bisque with a couple of chili peppers thrown in. The first time I made it, it had the perfect amount of heat; the second time it was wimpy; and the third time it was bit too hot. Next time I will roast twice as much chilis as usual and add them to the soup a bit at a time. The rest can go in the freezer.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #14
Head Chef

If its heat you want and they're available use habaneros to supplement the peppers that you normally use.

Add them very slowly a bit at a time.Let them "cook in", taste, add, taste until the heat is just right.

I use habanero flakes for this purpose.

Go slow and be careful.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:15 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not sure what you have available in your area of england, but if you have an indian or asian market nearby, ask the proprietor for spicier dried chilis. true indian food can blow your head off with it's spiciness if you ask for it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #16
Head Chef

Just because it's called a chile, that doesn't make it hot. I used to live in Colorado, and in the western US we had all sorts of peppers available - Anaheim, poblano, Fresno, jalapeno, habenero with greatly varying degrees of spiciness. In season we get both fresh and dried chiles from New Mexico and southern Colorado (Hatch's chiles are famous) which are flavorful, but not that spicy. Here in the Bahamas we have locally grown finger and Scotch Bonnet peppers which will singe your hair follicles. I can put 1/3 of a Scotch bonnet (that's about as big as the tip of my index finger to the base of the fingernail) minced in a pot of chili and it's as spicy as I can stand, and I like it pretty spicy.

I don't know what you consider spicy, and it's a very subjective taste. What I consider just pleasantly spicy would be much too hot for my wife's sister, yet I have friends who would consider it quite bland. If you want some control over the spiciness, you might consider ground cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes if either is available in the UK. Both tend to be more consistent and measurable than chilis.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
Half Baked

I make my chili with nothing but fresh chilis,onions,garlic and beef. I use a tone of chilis and it is mild enough for my kids to eat. The chilies break down and add a ton of flavor but not much heat. I add some dried ground stuff near the end to bring up the heat. if you can get ground habanero try that but add a little bit at a time. the stuff is potent but has great flavor.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chili