Why you are using Standard or Metric?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
64 yrs old grew up with the standard way and not changing my recipes, however.... I do have a scale that will also do metric and have tried a couple of recipes using the weighing in metric.... Not having it - Guess the old saying "Can't teach a dog a new trick" applies.

Back in the 70s when President Carter tried to get the USA to change to metric, I remember the complaints. Most centered around the fear of having to learn something new. OMG! Back to school!

64 yrs old grew up with the standard way and not changing my recipes, however.... I do have a scale that will also do metric and have tried a couple of recipes using the weighing in metric.... Not having it - Guess the old saying "Can't teach a dog a new trick" applies.

I'm 70, and I grew up well outside of the metric system too. I don't understand why it would be any more difficult to weigh in grams than it is in ounces. Once you select the weighing mode, the rest is just reading the numbers as you add ingredients to the scale. I can't "visualize" in metric like I can in ounces, but as long as I have a scale and measuring cup that read in grams and milliliters, it really doesn't make any difference to me.

As for new tricks - I hope that I never reach a point where I can't learn something new.

I’ve bought a kitchen scale, finally. It measures in both avoirdupois and metric. I generally prefer metric, because the math is much easier, but I do find that some recipes, when converted to metric weight from volume, come up with some very finicky numbers (417 grams of flour? 27 grams of butter?). I do tend to use measuring spoons instead of the scale for ingredients with a small weight, and I still measure my liquids with a cup measure.

It’s amazing that I get anything done in the kitchen at all!

I’ve bought a kitchen scale, finally. It measures in both avoirdupois and metric. I generally prefer metric, because the math is much easier, but I do find that some recipes, when converted to metric weight from volume, come up with some very finicky numbers (417 grams of flour? 27 grams of butter?). I do tend to use measuring spoons instead of the scale for ingredients with a small weight, and I still measure my liquids with a cup measure.

It’s amazing that I get anything done in the kitchen at all!

I freely round off to the nearest "5". That is, 417 become 415 and 418 becomes 420.

I also use measuring spoons for small amounts.

Back
Top Bottom