Will This Work In A Choc. Fountain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mackeeg

Cook
I make my choc by putting 4 cup chips to 1 cup oil but I saw this recipe. Do you think it would work fine in a choc. fountain or does there have to be oil in the choc. mix?

Chocolate Almond Fondue

1 1/4 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon almond extract
24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup amaretto In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine half-and-half and almond extract. Heat until bubbles begin to form at edge of cream. Do not boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Once all of the chocolate is melted and incorporated, slowly stir in amaretto until combined. Pour chocolate mixture into fondue pot or preheated chocolate fountain and serve with goodies for dipping.

I won't be putting in the amaretto because it is for kids.

mackeeg said:
I make my choc by putting 4 cup chips to 1 cup oil but I saw this recipe. Do you think it would work fine in a choc. fountain or does there have to be oil in the choc. mix?

Chocolate Almond Fondue

1 1/4 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon almond extract
24 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup amaretto In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine half-and-half and almond extract. Heat until bubbles begin to form at edge of cream. Do not boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Once all of the chocolate is melted and incorporated, slowly stir in amaretto until combined. Pour chocolate mixture into fondue pot or preheated chocolate fountain and serve with goodies for dipping.

I won't be putting in the amaretto because it is for kids.

As far as it looks, mackeeg, the recipe seems to have been designed to be used with a chocolate fountain. See the portion of it that I put in bold type.

I don't have any experience with these fountains but, beyond what the recipe says, chances are there are others here on this board who will give you more definitive advice.

I'm with Katie - the recipe looks like it would work based on the recipes I found here - and they should know since they make them.

Apparently the oil is necessary for flow-ability if you are using just melted chocolate, and the amount of oil needed depends on the cocoa butter content of the chocolate.

I have a chocolate fountain and one time I used chocolate chips and I melted them first like it said and put it in the foutain but it would never flow. So the next time I used the chocolate that it says to use in the instructions and it worked perfectly. So I am not sure about using the recipe with the chocolate chips.

Apparently, JCook - it's got to do with the soluble fat content of the chocolate (cocoa butter). If you used a chocolate that was low in cocoa butter (low fat) and didn't suppliment it with oil it wouldn't work - not enough fat to keep the chocolate liquid enough ... which explains why using the chocolate they "suggested" the next time worked, it was probably higher in cocoa butter.

I think you still need to use oil in these. The amount in that recipe looks very small for the amount of chocolate I have seen needed to "stoke up" a fountain.
On that note, in the Denver Whole Foods store I saw a chocolate fountain that was 6 feet tall--and mounted above the candy counter. The chocolate was flowing SO smoothly that at first I didn't even realize it was going!!

If you used the chocolate that is designed for the fountains, then I don't think that the oil is necesary. You could of course add it anyways, and it will probably make the chocoate have a nicer sheen. The oil, used with chocolate that is not meant specifically for fountains, probably just helps make it flow.

There are two types of fountains that I know of as well, one with a pump and one with an auger. The pump ones are more finicky from what I have heard, and might require special attention to the chocolate you use, but I think with an auger-style fountain it is possible to use any type of chocolate.

Something I've always wanted to try in a fountain is ganache.

Easter Time and chocolate fountains are flowing. I stopped for a bite and asked the attendant about the chocolate. She said the basic for making the fountain flow is one pound of chocolate to one cup of oil. As long as it doesn't have nuts or Rocky Road marshmallows, it's fine. She was simply using Hershey milk chocolate candy bars and oil. The food dipped under the fountain was chocolate angel food cake, pound cake, and marshmallows. The marshmallows do not work very well because they start melting upon contact with the hot chocolate. You obviously would not want one of these within reach of a small child. You could not taste the oil in the chocolate but then you obviously would not want to eat a whole tub of it.

I think they had the heat up to high for those marshmallows. I've used chocolate fountains for a couple years, and never had a problem with marshmallows melting.

AllenOK said:
I think they had the heat up to high for those marshmallows. I've used chocolate fountains for a couple years, and never had a problem with marshmallows melting.

This fountain was in the middle of a new grocery store grand opening for the whole community to see. They were not trying to sell chocolate or fountains. They were trying to sell bakery goods!

I think marshmallows start to disintegrate when they hit cold jello. It is best not to serve marshmallows with your chocolate fountain if you are going to be wearing a Wedding dress or Tuxedo. Maybe I should have said the warm chocolate was enough to melt a marshmallow!

Think s'mores and I think you will understand how little it takes to melt a marshmallow.

Back
Top Bottom